Sony Computer Entertainment and PixelJunk developer Q-Games have announced The Tomorrow Children, the independent developer’s first entry into 3D games in a long time.
Featured above, you can view the game’s debut trailer – it’s pretty glorious and the music reminds me of Red Army Choir songs, simply grandiose and immensely epic in nature.
“In another future, the human race is trapped,” the trailer begins. “The dreams of mankind reduced to nothingness. We will work together. We will fight together. We will live together. We will build together. We will be comrades! And we’ll mine fallen giants! For the glory of all.”
The Tomorrow Children is a tale of an alternate future where 1960s Russia employed several experiments on humans, to hopefully create a “sublime” human race … by meshing them all into a collective consciousness. Obviously, the experiment went horribly wrong and the entire planet was affected, and it took 90 years for the few surviving humans to rebuild society to the point of hopefully reclaiming the world.
The protagonist, the “projection clone,” is tasked with adventuring out into “The Vod”, in the hopes of saving humanity and restoring it to its former place at its former glory. Coming from their past, the survivors have ideals that are founded upon Marxist ideals from the 1960s, however, they have been twisted and augmented throughout the years, even as technology has developed in a parallel to our present.
Here’s an official synopsis for the game’s story:
When an ambitious experiment designed to unite the minds of all humanity goes horribly wrong, almost all life on Earth disappears instantly, melting down into the planet to form “the Void”. Years later, a handful of survivors begin to rebuild civilization, but their endeavors are hampered by “the Izverg”, giant beasts formed from the residue of negativity and nightmares that now roam the land. Fortunately, engineers discover the ability to develop “projection clones” – new life forms capable of venturing deep into the Void in search of preserved human DNA. It is with these clones that mankind begins the long journey back to its former glory…
Finally, here’s the games core features:
- Choose your character class and travel into the Void in search of resources, building materials and trapped human souls that can be reinstated using a special machine
- Work together with your comrades in a persistent world, obtaining supplies, creating objects, fighting enemies and establishing new settlements
- Make paths through the Void, discovering islands where valuable assets can be obtained, but watch out for the Izverg that lurk around every corner…
- Develop towns from small communes to fortified cities, defending them from Izverg attack, and building new facilities
- Improve your character, develop your skills and boost your status on your own personal mission to rebuild the world – for the glory of all!
A release date was not mentioned for The Tomorrow Children, but we’ll keep you guys posted.