Today’s Spotlight is Them’s Fightin’ Herds, a My Little Pony-inspired 2D fighter by Mane6 and Humble Bundle that recently left Early Access.
The game started as a My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic fan project that spun off into its own direction. Them’s Fightin’ Herds features a roster of colorful characters inspired by the popular cartoon, all designed with the help of Lauren Faust.
In addition to the usual selection of online and local versus modes, the game also features a pixel art overworld lobby system, where players can customize their characters and interact with each other. This mode also features Salt Mine, a side game that blends 2D fighting and dungeon crawlers.
You can find the launch trailer below.
Them’s Fightin’ Herds is available on Windows PC (via Humble Bundle, and Steam) for $14.99.
You can find a rundown of the game (via Steam) below:
Them’s Fightin’ Herds is an indie fighting game featuring a cast of adorable animals designed by acclaimed cartoon producer Lauren Faust. Beneath the cute and cuddly surface, a mechanically-deep GGPO-powered fighter awaits!
- 4-Button Fighting – A (Light), B (Medium), C (Heavy), D (Magic).
- Magic System – Emphasize your character’s special abilities through a dedicated button and a unique resource.
- Enhanced Super Attack – Spend an additional bar of meter during your super for a bonus utility effect.
- Juggle Decay – An infinite-prevention system that manages combo length without imposing hard limits.
- Dynamic Music System – Rockin’ character themes adapt in the heat of the battle to make every fight feel like a clash of champions.
- GGPO Netcode – Battle across the globe with little to no input delay.
- Local Versus and Online Matchmaking – Play at home or fight worthy opponents on-demand.
- Tutorial and Training Modes – Learn the ropes with guided tutorials, or practice on your own with a fully-featured, data-rich training room.
- Combo and Target Challenges – Test your skills in character-specific sets of combo trials and target-smashing obstacle courses.
- Pixel Lobby – An online visual lobby system that sets players free to interact and explore in a top-down overworld with nostalgic style. Customize your avatar with cosmetic items collected through various single-player and multiplayer modes.
- Salt Mines – A unique melding of fighting game and dungeon crawl that pits Pixel Lobby players against waves of predators and each other in a contest of glory… and hats!
- Story Mode (currently in development) – An episodic adventure where players travel with each champion in their quest to recover a magical key that will save the world of Fœnum from vicious predators. Chapter 1 will be available with the release of version 1.0. Subsequent chapters will be added in the months following, free of charge.
If you’re a developer and want your game showcased on Niche Spotlight, please contact us!
This is Niche Spotlight. In this column, we regularly introduce new games to our fans, so please leave feedback and let us know if there’s a game you want us to cover!