This is Niche Spotlight. In this column, we regularly introduce new games to our fans, so please leave feedback and let us know if there’s a game you want us to cover!
Indie Chinese studio O.T.K. Games have been working on a gorgeous, 2D, hand-painted fantasy action game dubbed simply The Vagrant. The game had an unsuccessful Kickstarter campaign, however, it’s still being developed – now with the hopes of furthering its costs via Steam Early Access.
The Vanillaware-like game is heavily reminiscent of the Japanese studio’s work, and O.T.K. are keen to not deny those games inspired this title. Featured above, you can view the latest trailer for the game, which follows the protagonist Vivian.
Players will explore through mysterious forests, haunted castles, and even wrecked battlegrounds as they search for Vivian’s father and his lost research. Her hope is to reunite her family through his lost work.
Here’s a rundown on the title, via O.T.K. Games:
The Vagrant is a 2D action RPG. As Vivian, you will experience an exciting and challenging adventure focused on combat gameplay that utilizes combo chains, charge attacks, and special skills, all while improving your character’s build through new equipment and abilities. Play casually or become a master combatant.
- Hand-painted, traditionally animated characters.
- Flawless, hardcore action combat.
- Over 70 deadly and dangerous monsters and beasts.
- 6+ massive level sets, all beautifully hand painted.
- Multiple weapons, armors, and accessories to loot, purchase, and discover.
- A large-scale skill set to enhance character builds for immersive and intense gameplay.
- Craft and enchant your equipment to improve your combat performance.
- Use various offensive skills to destroy your enemy. Evolve the skills with elemental enchantments.
- Multiple endings to make your adventure even more unpredictable.
- 10+ challenging Boss monster with intuitive AI and battle mechanics. Challenging even for the most advanced players.
- Monsterpedia that allows you to collect data on the monsters as you defeat them.
- Fast travel to previously visited areas to re-challenge or grind.
- Exciting and emotionally driven musical score by Gabe Castro.
- Rich and intriguing storyline development.
- 4 difficulties ranging from casual play to hardcore fighting, each with the full gameplay experiences.
- Fully compatible with Xbox One controllers.
If you want to get your hands on The Vagrant right now, head on over to its Steam Early Access page. If you’re a developer and want your game showcased on Niche Spotlight, please contact us!