Today’s Niche Spotlight is Steel Assault, a retro-inspired 2D action-platformer by Zenovia Interactive and Tribute Games.
You play as Taro Takahashi, a resistance fighter in a post-apocalyptic America ruled by an evil dictator. Take your revenge by fighting General Pierce’s legions of soldiers, armed with ancient and forbidden weapons from before the apocalypse. Master a simple but fast and fluid combat and movement system, based around smart usage of your own personal zipline launcher.
You can find the launch trailer below.
Steel Assault is available for Windows PC, Linux, and Mac (all via Steam), and Nintendo Switch for $14.99 USD.
You can find the rundown (via Steam) below:
Punch, whip, and zipline your way through a post-apocalyptic America in this 16-bit retro-style action platformer! Play as Taro Takahashi, a resistance soldier on a revenge mission against the dictator who lords over the ashes.
- Fast-paced 2D platforming: Dynamic, fluid side scrolling combat with a stylish moveset and tons of enemies & bosses to fight
- Unique zipline action: A new twist on classic grappling-hook mechanics, opening up fun movement possibilities
- 16-bit post-apoc style: A beautifully fleshed-out sci-fi world, rendered in detailed pixel art and backed by fiery FM-synthesized tunes
- Classic gaming experience: Beautifully hand-crafted stage-based action with optimal screen resolution for CRT gaming
- Gratifying arcade challenge: Enjoy a quick playthrough on an easier mode… or put your skills and resilience to the test with the 1-credit-clear Arcade Mode
If you’re a developer and want your game showcased on Niche Spotlight, please contact us!
This is Niche Spotlight. In this column, we regularly introduce new games to our fans, so please leave feedback and let us know if there’s a game you want us to cover!