Today’s Niche Spotlight is Regiments, a real-time tactics wargame where the Cold War turns hot by Bird’s Eye Games and MicroProse Software.
In Regiments, you will lead brigades of troops in Germany after war breaks out between NATO and the Warsaw Pact in 1989. Command over 100 authentic units and vehicles from the US, East and West Germany, the UK, Belgium, and the Soviet Union. Battles gradually escalate over the course of an operation in Regiments, allowing you to bring in reinforcements and customize your task forces on the fly to adapt to changes on the battlefield.
Besides the standard array of skirmish maps and objectives, Regiments features an Operations mode that acts like a series of mini campaigns where you manage troops and resources over the course of a multi-day engagement.
You can find the launch trailer below.
Regiments is available on Windows PC via Steam for $29.99.
You can find a rundown (via Steam) below:
THE RED HORSE OF WAR IS RIDING THROUGH EUROPE ONCE AGAIN
It’s 1989 and the flames of a New War are flaring up. Thousands of square miles of German landscape will become a stage for sweeping battles between the best NATO and Warsaw Pact has to offer.
Lead your Regiment through the inferno of a wide-scale Cold War conflict in this new Real-Time Tactics game. Break through the lines, call in artillery and air support, maneuver, feign retreats, and stage mobile defenses. Do not relent.
The Platoon Command system lets you orchestrate battles with unprecedented precision and ease. No need to micromanage every infantryman – you’re a Commanding Officer, not a sergeant.
Form your force on the fly. Selecting the main Regiment is just a start. You can expand your army during the game by calling in unique Task Forces, each bringing its own equipment and off-map support options.
- Plot-focused Campaign of several Operations that tells a complex story of warfare around the Inner German border from multiple perspectives
- Seven diverse Operations, each encompassing up to several days of fighting. Fight tactical battles, manage limited resources in the lulls between combat, make operational decisions, and lead your Regiment to victory
- Three distinct skirmish modes with varied, dynamic objectives
- Over 100 authentic vehicles modeled, combined into a multitude of different formations. Deploy such iconic vehicles as Leopard 2, T-72M, or M2 Bradley Fighting Vehicle
- Command Regiments, Brigades, and Task Forces from a multitude of factions: Soviet Union, USA, East and West Germanies, Belgium, UK – with more to come
- Aggressive, competent AI that can challenge experienced RTS players
- On-the-fly force customization, rewarding adaptability, and creativity
- Deep game mechanics, simulating the Cold War era mechanized fight with great detail
- Visceral visual effects, bringing WWIII to your screen in all its terrifying glory
- Smooth learning curve and high accessibility even to novice RTS players
- Refined controls that make commanding hundreds of soldiers a breeze
If you’re a developer and want your game showcased on Niche Spotlight, please contact us!
This is Niche Spotlight. In this column, we regularly introduce new games to our fans, so please leave feedback and let us know if there’s a game you want us to cover!