This is Niche Spotlight. In this column, we regularly introduce new games to our fans, so please leave feedback and let us know if there’s a game you want us to cover!
Today’s Spotlight is Forsaken Remastered, an updated rerelease of the classic 6DOF shooter from 1998 by Nightdive Studios.
This remastered version features everything from the original by Probe Entertainment and Iguana Entertainment, including the extra content that was in the N64 version and bonus levels that were cut from the final release. You can check out a trailer above.
As with all of Nightdive’s remasters, they’ve also cleaned up the visuals and added tons of new technical features, including DirectX 11 and support for widescreen monitors and 4k. The online multiplayer has also been restored, and features support for 16 players.
Here’s a rundown of the game:
The team at Nightdive Studios, that brought back Turok and Turok 2: Seeds of Evil, are pleased to announce that on July 31st, Forsaken Remastered will be available for purchase on Steam!
Developed by Probe Entertainment and Iguana Entertainment and first released in 1998 for PlayStation, PC and Nintendo 64, Forsaken was a vision of a dystopian future where science has gone out of control. Scavengers from all over the known worlds have come to Earth to loot the remains of the technology that can found in underground tunnels. But beware! You must fight your way past automated defenses and the scum of the universe to find the treasures hidden on each level.
Forsaken is a 3D first-person shooter in which the player has complete 360-degree range of freedom. In a far-off future you play as a scavenger searching through the underground tunnels for weapons and treasures. But you face dangers from automated defense systems and other scavengers.
As you mount your hoverbike, be prepared for deadly combat. You are going to quickly learn that the future is… Forsaken!
The game features 5 devastating primary weapons and 9 unique secondary weapons with 32 challenging levels for maximum replayability and 6 multiplayer modes for up to 16 players: Free For All, Team Game (Deathmatch), Bounty Hunt, Team Bounty Hunt, Capture the Flag and Team Capture the Flag
- Support for Widescreen and 4K monitors
- Super smooth interpolated movement for 144hz displays and beyond
- MSAA and SMAA anti aliasing
- Ambient Occlusion and Motion Blur effects
- Enhanced and improved particle effects
- OpenGL 3.2, DirectX 11 support
- New automap feature
- Unique levels and enemies featured in the N64 version
- Unlockable bonus levels not seen in the original release
- Localized text for English, French, German, Italian and Spanish
- Remastered display HUD
- Online multiplayer modes for up to 16 players
- Support for all the multiplayer modes from the PC version: Free For All, Team Deathmatch, Capture the Flag, One Flag CTF, Bounty Hunt and Team Bounty Hunt.
If you’re a developer and want your game showcased on Niche Spotlight, please contact us!