This is Niche Spotlight. In this column, we regularly introduce new games to our fans, so please leave feedback and let us know if there’s a game you want us to cover!
Today’s Spotlight is Devil Engine, a 2D side-scrolling shmup by Protoculture Games and DANGEN Entertainment.
You are the pilot of humanity’s last hope, a prototype starship named the Andraste sent on a last ditch mission to eliminate the Devil Engine and avert a disastrous future. You can watch a trailer for the game above.
Fight through six stages and eight game modes against hordes of enemies and gigantic bosses. Build huge combo chains and spend your points unlocking new stages, ships, and cosmetic options.
Devil Engine is available on Windows PC (via Steam) and Switch for $19.99.
Here’s a rundown of the game:
A last ditch effort to destroy what was once to be our savior. A final mission to eliminate a disastrous future. A single ship against Earth’s entire military. The Andraste is the only hope to defeat…the Devil Engine.
Devil Engine is a high octane, classic styled side scrolling shoot-em-up heavily influenced by the best in the genre from the 32-bit era, featuring a variety of incredible locations, hand drawn pixel art, and a blood-pumping soundtrack that brings the dark future to life.
- Use 3 shot types with unique bombs to destroy everything in your path.
- Build a point multiplying combo with careful play and expend it with a bullet absorbing burst.
- Compete across 8 game modes for score supremacy.
- Leave a wave of carnage across 6 incredibly detailed stages.
- Points aren’t just for collecting! Spend your accumulated points to unlock in-game shaders, additional music, stages and playable ships.
- Pulse pounding music featuring tracks by famed shmup composer Hyakutarou Tsukumo.
If you’re a developer and want your game showcased on Niche Spotlight, please contact us!