Mojang has released a new snapshot for the original version of Minecraft, and it introduces quite a large bug – sorry, I just had to. The new 19W34A snapshot adds bees, honey, and much more.
The now-available update makes bees another neutral mob that can spawn in your worlds, and they generally keep to themselves unless you poke at them or their nests. If you get stung, the bee will lose its stinger and eventually die.
The nests spawn in flower forests, plains, and sunflower plains biomes. Bees will seek out flowers, take some pollen, and add a bit of honey back in their nest when they return. You can use a bottle to get honey, and you can also domesticate your own bees if you want (smoke calms them too).
Here’s a rundown of what to expect in the new update:
- Added Bees
- Added Bee Nests and Hives
- Added Honeycomb
- Added some dispenser functionality
- Minecraft: Java Edition now requires OpenGL 2.0
- New function for loot tables called copy_state
- Fixed bugs
We’re buzzing with excitement!
Can someone tell Cory to stop making bee puns now?
- Bees are cute, fuzzy, neutral mobs
- Don’t hurt them, they don’t want to hurt you
- If a bee does sting you, it will leave its stinger in you and eventually die, dropping nothing :(
- Bees love pretty flowers and spend their lives gathering pollen from them
- After gathering pollen, bees fly back to their home nest
- Bees help you by growing crops while carrying pollen back to the nest
- Bees can be bred using flowers
- Bees like sharing the location of their favorite flowers with other bees
- If a bee can’t find nectar, after a while it will return home for a bit
- If a bee doesn’t have a home nest, it will wander around until it finds one it can use
- Bees don’t like the rain and they sleep at night. They will go back to the nest in these cases
BEE NESTS / BEE HIVES
In real life, bees dance in their nests to show other bees where flowers are!
- Bee Nests spawn naturally in Flower Forests, Plains, and Sunflower Plains biomes
- When a bee visits this block and completes its journey undisturbed, the level of honey increases
- Max of 5 levels of honey
- Level 5 is quite…sticky
- Bees use nests and hives to share flower locations with other bees
- Sometimes bees that already know about a flower will choose not to use this information
- Bee Hives are crafted by players using honeycomb and wood planks
- Use a silk touch tool to get the block with the bees stored inside
- Bee Nests will be destroyed unless you use silk touch
- Use shears when at full honey to get honeycomb
- Use a bottle when at full honey to get a honey bottle
- Campfire smoke calms bees – place one underneath the nest / hive to keep them in chill mode
- Bees like Bee Nests and Bee Hives the same amount! They don’t play favorites :)
- Added the Honey Bottle!
Organic, gluten-free, delicious locally-farmed honey!
- Use an empty glass bottle on a hive or nest that is full of honey to get a bottle of honey!
- Drink it!
- Oh yeah, also craft it into sugar!
- Added Honeycomb!
Disclaimer: Cannot be used to comb your hair
- Shear a full-honey hive or nest to obtain
- Craft with wood planks to create a Bee Hive
- Dispensers can now fill bottles with water and honey
- Dispensers can now shear honey combs from Bee Nests and Hives
You can read the full patch notes, including real bug fixes and all, here in the update post.
Minecraft has been available for Windows PC, Mac, Linux, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, 3DS, PS Vita, Wii U, Nintendo Switch, and both iOS and Android.