Developer Polyscape has announced MISTROGUE: Mist and the Living Dungeons will leave early access this month, hitting full release.
MISTROGUE: Mist and the Living Dungeons is leaving early access on Windows PC (via Steam) and will hit full release in October.
Here’s a rundown on the game, plus a new trailer:
Mystery-Dungeon-like action JRPG
“MISTROGUE: Mist and the Living Dungeons” is a Realtime Mystery-Dungeon-like action game from Japan that pays homage to the “Mystery Dungeon” series, drawing inspiration from titles like ‘Shiren the Wanderer’ and ‘Torneko’s Great Adventure’.
The protagonist, Mist, explores for rare items while constantly facing danger in the “Living Dungeon” that is auto-generated in real-time. Combine the skills attached to acquired equipment to create your own unique skill build.
Mist’s level resets every time you return to town. If you fail during your journey, you risk losing items and money gained during that run. You might want to consider whether to return to town when you obtain a rare item, or continue to forge ahead. A perilous adventure awaits where there’s little room for errors..
- Game Cycle typical of Mystery Dungeon: Dive into randomly generated dungeons and return to base to gradually enhance your equipment and items.
- Tense Real-time Action System: Enemies and Dungeon gimmicks move in real-time. Dodge enemy attack cues, aim at perfect timing to use special skills to wipe out hordes of enemies, or the otherwise an enemy too strong.
- Various Items: Overcome crises with items like ‘Sleep Spellbook’, that can put surrounding enemies to sleep or ‘Large Room Maze Stone’ that can generate rooms in the dungeon.
- Skill Builds tuned for maximum synergies: The unique skill building is reminiscent of deck construction in trading card games. Discover powerful synergies from more than 80 total skills, and overpower enemies.
- Rare Item Search: Collect rare drops from enemies and treasure chests along the dungeon path, and experience the joy of creating your own unique skill synergies.
- Attach Skills with ‘Skill Books’: Use the ‘Skill Books’ on equipments to attach new skills and enhance your gear. It’s also possible to recover the ‘Skill Books’ through ‘dismantling’ gears.
At the Early Access stage, the following content is included:
- Three stages in Story Mode, and the endlessly generated End-Content “Endless Hyperspace” without any carried-in items (added at the end of June 2023).
- “Endless Hyperspace Leaderboard” where you can compete with friends and players around the world for the highest floor reached.
- More than 50 active skills, and over 30 passive skills.
- More than 50 pieces of equipment, and over 30 consumable items.
- Five different boss battles.
- The collectible element “Memories Treasure”, where by collecting “Fragments of Recollection”, which are occasionally found in dungeons, you can complete the gallery in your town (added at the end of June 2023).
Mist (main character)
One of the treasure hunters living in Lootgar; the town where adventurers and treasure hunters gather. He might look cool, but he has a strong will to find his father who disappeared when he was a child. He lives in Lootgar; He spends his days selling the loot he obtained from treasure hunts to his friend; a wandering trader named Lupo. Through his adventure, he found a ruined kingdom turned into a living dungeon. He is now determined to uncover the mystery of the kingdom.
A wandering trader who lives in Lootgar. She comes from a merchant family and has traded items found in dungeons since childhood. Since she is not good at combat, she makes contracts with adventurers and treasure hunters including Mist to stock items for trading. She is usually a quiet person but becomes canny and greedy when it comes to a business — her lifelong profession.