Publisher Spike Chunsoft and developer Too Kyo Games shared a bevy of new details for Master Detective Archives: RAIN CODE at this year’s Game Developers Conference.
The new information and media show off the game’s Kanai Ward and all its districts, as well as the Mystery Labyrinth, gameplay mechanics, and more.
Here’s a rundown on the new details:
Varied Personalities for Each Area of Kanai Ward
- Kamasaki District – The high-class commercial district. It looks orderly compared to Kamasaki District, and the blue lighting creates a calm atmosphere. There are cafes and restaurants, as well as landmarks like the art gallery and clocktower.
- Sun & Moon Hotel – A hotel in Kamasaki District. It’s a magnificent building, but seldom has customers because of the city’s isolation. Guests are rarely seen other than the Master Detectives
- Riverbank – A riverbank of the large river running through Kanai Ward. Due to Amaterasu Corporation’s business practices, the water itself is terribly polluted. The Nocturnal Detective Agency is currently located here after being evicted from a building in Kamasaki District
- Ginma District – The high-class commercial district. It looks orderly compared to Kamasaki District, and the blue lighting creates a calm atmosphere. There are cafes and restaurants, as well as landmarks like the art gallery and clocktower.
- Kanai Station Square – The magnificent station serves as the gateway to Kanai Ward. It’s the only way into the isolated city, but the number of travelers is very limited. The front of the station is deserted.
Challenge the Mystery Labyrinth Where Mysteries Are Materialized
Structure of the Mystery Labyrinth
The design of a Labyrinth is influenced by the case being investigated, so the atmosphere will differ drastically each case. If the culprit sets up misleads and traps to prevent the case being solved, these will also be reflected in the Labyrinth, making it even more complex.
In addition to the Reasoning Death Match against the Mystery Phantoms, questions that need to be answered will manifest into different puzzles. Multiple choice questions, solving a mystery with the correct Solution Key, as well as action-oriented sequences all appear.
Poke out the letters of the slow-rotating barrel to spell out the word that answers the question.
Reasoning Death Match Against the Mystery Phantoms!
Basic Reasoning Death Match Action
Although several mechanics are added as the game progresses, the following are the four basics of the Death Match. It seems action-packed at first glance, but has simple controls.
- Dodge – The Phantom’s statements will approach in various shapes and movements. Dodge the statements by moving left and right, crouching, and jumping.
- Rebuttal – Point out the contradiction and slash through it with the Solution Blade while the Solution Key is set. Successfully doing so advances the story.
- Select Solution Key – The Solution Keys obtained during the investigation are critical to victory in a Death Match. Find the contradiction among the Mystery Phantom’s statements and set the Solution Key disproving it onto the Solution Blade.
- Slash Noise – Noise (pink statements) unrelated to the main topic can sometimes get in the way. Get rid of them with “Slash Noise.”
Mystery Phantom – A Mystery Phantom is the materialized will of the person trying to bury the case and prevent the truth from being revealed. It’ll stand before Yuma and argue against his reasoning. Although the Phantom is modeled after the person involved in the real world case, it is only a materialization by Qs and has no direct connection to said person. Even if the Mystery Phantom’s statement is destroyed, it does not affect the person in the real world.
Master Detective Archives: RAIN CODE is launching on June 30th for Nintendo Switch.