This is Niche Culture. In this column, we regularly cover anime, geek culture, and things related to video games. Please leave feedback and let us know if there’s something you want us to cover!
While medieval melee murder game Mordhau just recently hit full release, it hasn’t taken long for players to get into all kinds of shenanigans. One enterprising player took it upon himself to fulfill one of the core tenets of mankind’s destiny – to play the classic shooter Doom on everything.
Featured above, a new video surfaced of a player playing Doom – or rather the music track for its first level, E1M1 – on a lute instrument in the game. It’s not really playing the game Doom itself, but hey I’ll take it.
This is done via a mod of sorts to the game called LuteBot, but you’ll still have to program or download the midi versions of songs in order to play them in-game with the instrument.
Expect our thorough review for Mordhau in the coming days – as well as some livestreams!
Here’s a rundown on the game:
MORDHAU is a medieval first & third person multiplayer slasher. Enter a hectic battlefield of up to 64 players as a mercenary in a fictional, but realistic world, where you will get to experience the brutal and satisfying melee combat that will have you always coming back for more.
- Massive battles: From small-scale engagements to 64-player all-out war in modes such as Frontline and Battle Royale.
- Cooperative & offline play: Fight waves of enemies alongside your friends in the cooperative Horde mode, or practice your skills offline against AI.
- Free-form melee and ranged combat: Gain complete control over your character and attacks and develop your unique style.
- In-depth character customization: Sculpt your face, create your weapon from parts, and pick out individual pieces of armor to create the perfect warrior.
- Huge arsenal of weapons & equipment: Take on enemies with a greatsword, rain arrows from above, or even sit back and build fortifications.
- Fight anywhere: Experience cavalry charges, fight on ladders, and operate siege engines such as the catapult and ballista.
- Visceral and gory combat: Feel the impact of every blow, and send limbs flying as you wreak havoc upon your foes. (Blood & gore are optional)
- Believable fights: A game where fights look believable, MORDHAU strikes a balance between gameplay and realism.
Mordhau is now available for Windows PC, via Steam.