Both Limited Run Games and Special Reserve Games have announced a limited physical run for The Messenger.
The throwback action-platforming game will get a physical run on both PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch for $34.99, with pre-orders opening on March 19th.
Unlike previous limited prints both companies have handled, there is no pre-set number of copies being printed – pre-orders will remain open until April 2nd, and the number of physical copies made will depend on the number of orders. Shipments are expected to go out in June.
It’s worth pointing out that both Limited Run Games’ and Special Reserve Games’ physical editions are published by Special Reserve Games, with the only difference being each store having their own cover variant. Product pages for the physical version of The Messenger are now live on the Limited Run Games Store (PS4 here, Switch here), but not yet on the Special Reserve Games Store.
Here’s a rundown on the game:
As a demon army besieges his village, a young ninja ventures through a cursed world, to deliver a scroll paramount to his clan’s survival. What begins as a classic action platformer soon unravels into an expansive time-traveling adventure full of thrills, surprises, and humor.
- Dynamic, acrobatic gameplay and ultra tight controls worthy of an epic ninja adventure.
- Character upgrades, new abilities, hidden levels, and branching paths to discover.
- Meticulously designed 8-bit and 16-bit sprites, animations, and backgrounds in the spirit of the classics.
- A memorable cast of offbeat villains, bosses, and associates.
- Original soundtrack by renowned chiptune composer Rainbowdragoneyes, handmade using Famitracker.
The Messenger is available now digitally for Windows PC and Switch, with the PlayStation 4 release coming on March 19th.