Nicalis has announced a Nintendo Switch port for the legendary shoot ’em up, Ikaruga.
The classic Treasure-developed shmup will hit the hybrid console on May 29th via the eShop, for $14.99. Featured above, you can view the announcement trailer for the new Switch port.
It’s worth pointing out the Switch port supports vertical screen orientation, colloquially known as TATE mode. I wrote about how the Switch is perfect for this, and why you’ll be seeing more shmups on the console.
Here’s a rundown on the game, via its Steam page:
Shoot! Dodge! and… Get Hit!?
Ikaruga is a vertical shoot ’em up that features an unique polarity-switching gameplay.
Switch the ship’s polarity and “get hit and absorb” enemy bullets!
Achieve High Score with the chain bonus!
- The player ship, all enemies and bullets are black or white. Player’s polarity can be switched at will.
- Your ship can absorb enemy bullets of the same polarity. Filled energy goes to fire powerful homing lasers! (Release Power)
- Defeat 3 enemies in a row of the same polarity and get the chain bonus! Building up high scores feels like a puzzle game?
- Spectacular 3D graphics. Fast and smooth game play.
- 2 Players game (Local) and Double Play Mode: You can play 2 Players game with one controller.
- 5 levels. Tactical level design and boss battles.
- 3 difficulty levels: EASY, NORMAL, HARD. Change your tactics depending on the difficulty.
- 2 Game modes: ARCADE, PROTOTYPE (not hidden).
- Replay data save is available. You can also download them from the Leaderboards.
- Vertical screen mode support. You can also play the game like a side-scrolling shooter by rotating only the game screen.
Ikaruga has been available for Windows PC (via Steam), Arcade, Xbox 360, Dreamcast, GameCube, and Android.