Hot Wheels: Rift Rally has been announced by Velan Studios, the folks behind the mixed reality game Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit.
The new mixed reality racing game is coming to iOS, PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 5 on March 14th. Pre-orders are live now on each respectively platform.
“Our mission at Velan has always been to create breakthrough games that feel magical to players,” said Karthik Bala, CEO, Velan Studios. “Our background combining digital and physical play taught us a lot about the mixed reality racing genre we invented, which we used to bring a transformational new experience to Hot Wheels: Rift Rally.”
Mattel global head of digital gaming Mike DeLaet added, “Velan Studios’ innovative game design and technology introduces a breakthrough play experience for Hot Wheels fans by transforming their home into the ultimate Hot Wheels track for their digital car collection. Hot Wheels: Rift Rally unlocks an exciting new kind of creative play for Hot Wheels fans by bridging physical and digital play in a way we’ve never seen before,” added Chris Down, Chief Design Officer, Mattel.
Here’s a rundown on the game, plus its reveal trailer:
Hot Wheels: Rift Rally
Hot Wheels: Rift Rally is a new mixed reality racing game where players design and create the ultimate Hot Wheels race track right at home. In Hot Wheels: Rift Rally , the real world is blended with over-the-top digital environments using Velan’s patented RC mixed reality vehicle tech.
Players can race their Chameleon RC car across custom tracks, perform stunts, play mini-games and compete against friends with cross-platform co-op features new to the genre. Hot Wheels: Rift Rally launches with 22 core cars and more than 140 variants, offering players endless options to customize the look and performance of their favorite Hot Wheels.
- Two Ways to Play: In Campaign mode, players set up Rift Gates to create the ultimate mixed reality track, exploring maps that feature multiple challenges to complete and races to race. In Stunt mode, players drive and stunt the Chameleon without gates as they chain together drifts, wheelies, and burnouts to hit high scores and earn rewards.
- Vehicle Variety: The Chameleon can digitally transform into 22 different core cars with more than 140 variants, allowing players to get behind the wheel their favorite Hot Wheels cars, including fan favorites like Twin Mill, Bone Shaker, Mach Speeder and Gotta Go, as well as all new vehicles.
- Custom Cars – There are endless options to customize the look and performance of cars so players can bring their own flair and style to the game. In-game performance customizations translate into real world Chameleon behavior – for instance, increasing acceleration performance means the Chameleon accelerates faster across the living room.
- Exciting Challenges – Hot Wheels: Rift Rally offers a variety of mini-games, puzzles and challenges to earn new vehicles and customizations.
- Play Solo or with Friends – Players can play solo or by connecting multiple Chameleons on separate devices with cross-platform play. Players can also play co-op with friends on PlayStation using a single Chameleon, where action hands off to different controllers.
Chameleon RC Car Specs:
- 1080p onboard camera provides 3rd person view that enables immersive mixed reality play
- Battery drive time is roughly 2 hours of play under normal play conditions
- Charge times: ~1hr from 50%, 2-3hrs from 0%
- Size: H: 100mm, W: 101mm, L: 91mm