Indie developer Pizia Studios has fully revealed Hayaku! and the Island of Darkness, a promising new yet throwback metroidvania game.
Hayaku! and the Island of Darkness is in development for Windows PC (via Steam), with no release date set though it has clear and strong Mega Man vibes, and I’m all for that.
Here’s a rundown on the game, plus some early gameplay:
Hayaku is a retro-inspired metroidvania game that pays homage to classic titles from the 8-bit era. With challenging platforming, engaging combat, and a captivating story!
Play as Hayaki, a skilled soldier and member of Reikan, an organization dedicated to investigating and stopping anomalous activities. Recently, a mysterious island has become home to dangerous and unpredictable creatures without any apparent reason, prompting Reikan to investigate the situation.
As a member of this elite team, Hayaki is uniquely qualified to navigate the treacherous terrain and uncover the truth behind the island’s secrets. But his motivations run deeper than just fulfilling his duty to Reikan. He’s searching for his missing brother, another member of the organization who disappeared on the island under mysterious circumstances.
Driven by a fierce desire to find his sibling, Hayaki will stop at nothing to unravel the island’s secrets and uncover the truth behind his brother’s disappearance.
- Lose yourself in huge maps: Immerse yourself in the lost world using the map system that keeps track of your progress, and find navigation stations that unlock the map of the area you’re exploring.
- Arsenal System: Explore and create more than 12 weapons that can be utilized as upgrades for either your sword or pistol. each weapon can level up and exhibit entirely different behaviors based on its level.
- Ride Armor Customization System: Discover and collect new Ride Armor parts throughout the game world, allowing you to customize your combat robot with new abilities and upgrades. Experiment with different combinations to find the perfect setup for your playstyle.
- Soundtrack: Featuring a chiptune soundtrack that could have been created for the NES, the game’s soundscapes bring back memories of classic video games while delivering a fresh experience.
- Visual Design: Drawing inspiration from the NES, but with added creative elements that create a balance of nostalgia and innovation, providing a new and exciting experience.