Gran Turismo 7 has been delayed the release date due the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic and quarantine orders.
The release date was not confirmed when the game was announced, but later in a compilation trailer of upcoming PlayStation 5 games stated the game was “anticipated” for the first half of 2021.
Now, GQ reports that the game has been delayed to 2022 on PlayStation 5. In an interview with Sony Interactive Entertainment Jim Ryan, he explained (in GQ’s words) “Covid has been up to no good again and booted Gran Turismo 7 back to 2022.”
While discussing games launching in 2021, GQ noted that Gran Turismo 7 was not among them. At that point, “a PR representative for Sony jumped into the call promising a statement on GT7.” That statement reads as follows.
“GT7 has been impacted by Covid-related production challenges and therefore will shift from 2021 to 2022. With the ongoing pandemic, it’s a dynamic and changing situation and some critical aspects of game production have been slowed over the past several months. We’ll share more specifics on GT7’s release date when available.”
Ryan also announced the PlayStation 5 VR system, and the return of the Play At Home initiative with Ratchet & Clank (2016) for free and a three-month trial to Funimation. He also confirmed that despite the coronavirus pandemic, the Uncharted movie and Last of Us TV series have not been delayed.
At its announcement the game was boasted as something for all car fans, “whether you’re a competitive racer, collector, fine-tuning builder, livery designer, photographer or arcade fan.”
You can find the full rundown (via PlayStation) below.
Gran Turismo 7 builds on 22 years of experience to bring you the best features from the history of the franchise.
Whether you’re a competitive racer, collector, fine-tuning builder, livery designer, photographer or arcade fan – ignite your personal passion for cars with features inspired by the past, present and future of Gran Turismo.
From classic vehicles and tracks to the reintroduction of the legendary GT Simulation Mode – enjoy the best features from past instalments of the series. And if you love to race – practice and compete in the FIA Championships and Sport Mode*.
But Gran Turismo 7 is also about more than racing. Refine and create in the evolved tuning and customization mode or improve your skills and racing strategies through Driving School.
Enjoy the best features from the history of Gran Turismo – 22 years in the making.
The Real Driving Simulator
Explore all that the Real Driving Simulator can be with new tools to help you put your own mark on your driving experiences.
Collect, tune, race and customize hundreds of cars and create your dream garage collection.*
*Internet required for most functionality.
- Stunning visuals: Marvel at rendering quality through ray tracing, with support for 4K, HDR, and a targeted 60 FPS frame rate.*
- Fast loading: Go to race events quickly, gather in lobbies and receive friend invites extremely quickly with an ultra-high speed SSD. Select from a huge variety of cars with no load times.
- Adaptive triggers: Feel the contrast in brake pedal weight at different sensitivity ranges, the vibrations from the ABS and variation in throttle pedal weight on different types of cars.
- Haptic feedback: Experience the feeling of tire contact with the road, and subtle bumps on the road surface.
- Tempest 3D AudioTech on compatible headphones: Sense the position of other cars and drivers around you through sound. Hear clear 3D Audio positioning and spatial expression of depth and height in replays.
*4K and HDR features require a compatible 4K and HDR TV or display.