Indie developer Christophe Galati was planning on releasing his Game Boy-tribute game, Save Me Mr. Tako, towards the end of last year. Unfortunately, the game’s targeted release window came and went – however development is still on track and the game has a new targeted release.
The game is now set for a release early this year, for the Nintendo Switch and Windows PC. The reasoning behind the delay was because the game “has so much content it took much longer than they [Nicalis] originally expected to playtest it.” Furthermore, Galati noted that the game is going through Nintendo’s submission process.
Here’s a rundown on the game, via Nicalis:
A Blast From the Portable-Gaming Past!
In a world where humans and octopi are at war, Mr Tako is a persistently helpful little octopus who rescues a woman from drowning one stormy night. A fairy sees this act of bravery and grants him the ability to survive on land, where he can turn enemies into platforms by spitting ink at them. As he travels across the surface world, Mr Tako defies his family and his people to try to resolve conflicts between humans and octopi.
Mr Tako will solve puzzles, explore mysterious dungeons and fight tenacious bosses on his mission to end the war between the undersea octopus kingdom and the terrestrial human world. Will you help this brave octopus to spread his message of tolerance and teach both species to coexist in peace and unity?
- Designed as a tribute to the original Game Boy— looks, sounds and plays like a long-lost cartridge for that beloved handheld game system
- 6 worlds to explore
- 50 different hats that Mr Tako can acquire and wear to gain special abilities
- Extensive character dialogue with many unique and memorable NPCs
- Side quests, puzzles, mini-games and 16 different dungeons to explore
- Multiple player-selectable palettes to change the game’s color scheme
If you’re really looking to get your hands on some old-school Game Boy-like action, there is an outdated demo for the game over on its IndieDB page for PC, Mac, and Linux.