Square Enix and developer Sushee have released a playable demo for their Kickstarter-funded Fear Effect sequel, Fear Effect: Sedna.
The new demo is available for PC over on Steam, and it encompasses “basically the first 30 minutes of the game.” Fans can expect the following included in the demo’s build:
- Infiltration mechanics! Once you enter stealth mode, you’ll be able to see the the enemies’ field of view.
- Stealth kills! Easier, faster, deadlier.
- Better character skills! And this time they’ll be really different and complementary.
- New voice actors! The whole crew is a delight to work with, and we’re very happy with this cast led by Natalie Roers – the voice of Hana in last year’s prototype.
- Smarter AIs! With the revamped cover system, they will try to flank you, call allies, move from a cover to another, stay hidden when their health is low…
- More death scenes! Just because… well, we all like those.
- Challenging puzzles! Prepare to fail!
The developer teased “many more minor improvements that we’re sure you will notice.” As with any game still in development, the demo is not fully polished and there will be more things ironed out before full release.
Here’s a rundown on the game:
Be part of a new Fear Effect adventure with Fear Effect Sedna, a new game in the classic series made popular on the original PlayStation console. With a whole new story, and shifting to a pausable real-time tactical action style, players will be able to control the team strategically and tackle enemies and puzzles alike.
Fear Effect Sedna is set four years after the events of the original Fear Effect game, and things have changed for the team. Hana, freed from the Triad, lives with Rain in Hong Kong and works as an occasional mercenary, while Deke has grown apart from them since Glas returned to the US.
Hana accepts a small mission for a shadowy organization asking for her services. Her target: a mysterious ancient statuette held by the Chinese ambassador in France. She sees it as a good opportunity to visit her birthplace… But this ‘easy’ mission is about to lead Hana to something way bigger than she expected.
Meanwhile Glas is approached by a client who catches his attention enough that he soon sets out for Greenland.
How will these events bring the old team back together?
Fear Effect Sedna is dedicated to recreating the atmosphere and characters from the original Fear Effect. However, while there are familiar aspects of the game to previous incarnations of the franchise, you’ll find yourself immersed in a completely unique and new world with Fear Effect Sedna – one that will appeal to fans both old and new.
- New environments in isometric view: Explore the deep caves of Greenland, abandoned scientific complexes, underwater stations and ethereal realms based on Inuit mythology.
- A real-time tactical action game: Exploit your heroes special abilities, and combine them to maximize your team’s effectiveness in attacks.
- A deep and mature story: Learn more about Fear Effect’s iconic characters’ past as they delve into this new mystery.
- Explore a whole new culture: Myths from the Inuit people are imbued with power of the elements and the cold sea. Meet and fight unexpected creatures from the spirit realm!
A release date for Fear Effect: Sedna was not announced, but it will be launching across PC, Mac, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One.