Since completing its Kickstarter campaign back in July of 2013, backers have been patiently waiting for Undertale to be released.
Their patience has paid off, as creator Toby Fox recently uploaded a new trailer for the game, which reveals the game’s release date – September 15th across Mac and Windows.
Undertale is a game where you play as a lost child in a world of monsters – your goal is to hopefully find a way home. You’ll encounter lots of monsters along the way, although you can spare monsters as you see fit.
Here are some of the game’s key features:
- Fighting is wholly unnecessary: negotiate your way out of danger using the unique battle system.
- Time your attacks for extra damage, then dodge enemy attacks in a style reminiscent of top-down shooters.
- Use the format of a video game to tell the story: traditional fourth-wall breaking tropes such as “SAVING,” “EXP,” and “LV” are an intergrated part
- of the game’s world.
- Obligatory puzzles. Lots and lots of obligatory puzzles.
- Original art and soundtrack brimming with personality.
- Captivating story with an emphasis on humor.
- Become friends with all of the bosses!
- Hilariously bad dating sim segments!
- Seriously, you can literally have a robot husband.
People have likened the game to Earthbound in that it’s an original RPG with some tongue-in-cheek humor, some of it fourth-wall breaking stuff. Others have compared it to Cave Story, the Shin Megami Tensei series, Touhou, and more.
You can download a demo for Undertale via its official website.