Techland have announced the release date and gameplay trailer for upcoming survival horror action RPG Dying Light 2: Stay Human.
Set 15 years after the events of the first game, humanity has managed to eek out survival from a zombie-creating virus. This “modern dark age” has created an almost medieval settlement and the even more savage lands beyond are rife with bandits, the starving, and violence. By night; the zombies command the land.
Playing as infected survivor Aiden Caldwell, use your enhanced physique to roam around the city; and make choices that may determine the fate of it. The game also supports up to four players in co-op; being able to see how other players shaped their city.
The new gameplay trailer shows how you join the Nightrunners; those who once helped people when the world was only just starting to go to hell. We also see the dramatic effect darkness has on the zombie’s abilities.
The game will also have three major factions. Survivors attempting to make safe-zones where they can, Peacekeepers with brutal law-and-order, and Renegades with former prisoners looking to take over the city. Helping or hindering them will shape the city; and each faction promises complex characters.
While infected roam the streets at night, players will be able to raid their nests. Therein, they can find what appears to be some kind of medical kit. Described as a “treasure trove;” the injectors may grant new powers, or even keep you staying human.
Players will be able to parkour to explore the city; letting them avoid infected and other foes as you bound from roof to roof. Even so, you will need to face some foes cautiously, sneakily, and cleverly. Or, brute force and limb hacking.
Fans of the series have long been waiting for good news; after the game has experienced delay after delay ever since the game was announced three years ago. It should be noted that the coronavirus pandemic was likely contributor to these delays.
You can find the gameplay trailer below.
You can find the full rundown (via Steam) below:
It’s been 15 years since humanity lost to the virus.
The last great human settlement exists within an unforgiving, infected world, plunged into a modern dark age. During the day, bandits, factions and starving survivors roam the streets scavenging for scraps – or someone to take them from, by violence if necessary. At night the infected roam free, evacuating their dark hideouts to prey on the living.
You are Aiden Caldwell, an infected survivor. Your exceptional agility and brutal combat skills make you a powerful ally and a valuable commodity in this dangerous world. You can achieve things no one else can. Enter places no one else dares. With your unique abilities you have the power to be an agent of change within this decaying metropolis.
The fate of the city is in your hands.
- YOUR CHOICES, YOUR WORLD – You must make tough decisions and hard sacrifices as you decide the fate of a society on the brink of collapse. The effect of the choices you make will have a huge impact on entire regions of the city, uncovering new land masses and areas to explore.
- EXCEPTIONAL AGILITY AND BRUTAL COMBAT – On your journey from humble beginnings to a person of great power, you have unprecedented freedom of movement across the city, seamlessly integrated with brutal first person combat.
- A MODERN DARK AGE – In a desperate city, where resources and power are scarce, unstable, and trust in ruling bodies is all but eroded; humankind has reverted to a dark age. Civilization is gone but the relics are still there. This is a violent, primal & unforgiving world – and so are its inhabitants.
- THE INFECTION HAS EVOLVED – The infection has evolved and become more sensitive to UV light. Society exists in the relative safety of sunlight, while the infected hide in the shadows of buildings. At night the infected roam the streets freely searching for prey, presenting opportunities for you to explore areas of the city inaccessible by day.
- 2-4 PLAYER CO-OP GAMEPLAY – Play the entire campaign in up to four-player co-op. Host your own games or join other players’ and see how their choices have played out differently to your own and how they have shaped their world differently to yours.