Studio Wildcard have announced ARK: The Animated Series, based on the open-world survival game of the same name.
Announced at the same time as Ark II, the series sees 21st century Australian paleontologist Helena Walker (Madeleine Madden) awaken on the ARK- a land filled with ancient creatures and people who have seemingly been revived. Now Walker must survive among scientists, romans, vikings, even more ancient peoples, and dinosaurs.
The series will also include the voice talents of Gerard Butler, Devery Jacobs, Cissy Jones, Deborah Mailman, Zahn McClarnon, Malcolm McDowell, Juliet Mills, Elliot Page, Ragga Ragnars, David Tennant, Alan Tudyk, Karl Urban, Jeffrey Wrigh, Michelle Yeoh, Ron Yuan, Russell Crowe, and Vin Diesel reprising his role as Santiago Da Costa from Ark II.
Ark: Survival Evolved’s creators Jeremy Stieglitz and Jesse Rapczak also created the series, and will act as executive producers. The show will also be executive produced and co-showrun by director Jay Oliva (Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox), and will have lead writers Marguerite Bennett and Kendall Deacon Davis.
ARK: The Animated Series premieres in 2022, with fourteen 30-minute episodes and two seasons in production. You can find the extended reveal trailer below.
ARK: The Animated Series chronicles the story of a mysterious primeval land populated by dinosaurs and other extinct creatures, where people from throughout human history have been resurrected. When 21st century Australian paleontologist Helena Walker awakes on the ARK after tragedy, she must learn to survive and find new allies, or die again at the hands of ruthless warlords — all while trying to uncover the true nature of their strange new world.
Voice talent and character descriptions, in alphabetical order:
- Gerard Butler plays General Gaius Marcellus Nerva, a brutal ancient Roman despot.
- Devery Jacobs plays Alasie, a peppy 17th century Inuit teenager, now finding her place on the ARK.
- Cissy Jones plays The Gladiatrix, a formidable commander in Nerva’s army.
- Madeleine Madden plays 21st century Australian paleontologist Helena Walker, newly awoken on the ARK.
- Deborah Mailman plays Deborah Walker, a 21st century Aboriginal Australian activist, and mother to Helena Walker.
- Zahn McClarnon plays Thunder Comes Charging, a 19th century Lakota warrior who leads a thriving community on the ARK.
- Malcolm McDowell plays Senator Lucius Cassius Virilis, a manipulative aristocrat during the reign of Caesar Augustus.
- Juliet Mills plays Chava, a wise healer and village councilmember.
- Elliot Page plays Victoria Walker, an idealistic humanitarian aid worker, and wife of Helena Walker.
- Ragga Ragnars plays Queen Sigrid, a bellicose 10th century Viking warlord.
- David Tennant plays Sir Edmund Rockwell, an egocentric 19th century scientist harboring dark ambitions.
- Alan Tudyk plays The Captain, a crusty buccaneer who profitably sails the dangerous waters around the ARK.
- Karl Urban plays Bob, a recent square-jawed ARK arrival.
- Jeffrey Wright plays Henry Townsend, an 18th century American watchmaker and Patriot spy.
- Michelle Yeoh plays Meiyin Li, a 3rd century Chinese rebel leader, known on the ARK by her reputation as the formidable “Beast Queen.”
- Ron Yuan plays Han Li, a 3rd century Chinese rebel leader and brother to Meiyin.
- With Russell Crowe playing Kor the Prophet, an eccentric ‘dino-whisperer’ hailing from a time before recorded history.
- And Vin Diesel playing 24th century ‘Mek’-pilot, gearhead, & freedom-fighter Santiago.
This is Niche Culture. In this column, we regularly cover anime, geek culture, and things related to video games. Please leave feedback and let us know if there’s something you want us to cover!