Frictional Games have announced the addition of “adventure mode” for Amnesia: Rebirth, removing some of the horror elements from the horror game.
As explained in the announcement, Frictional Games had previously released a “Safe mode” for SOMA, removing the monsters while attempting to keep the game’s narrative, atmosphere, story, and theme. The developer states that “nearly every single interview leading up to the release of Amnesia: Rebirth contained the question ‘Will it come with a safe mode?'”
Now Amnesia: Rebirth has an adventure mode, for new players “that have a hard time handling horror as a genre.” Here’s the rundown on what the mode will entail:
- “Monsters still exist in the game but they won’t attack you anymore.
- Locations that contained pitch black darkness have been brightened up a lot, making environments possible to explore at one’s own pace, allowing for easier navigation and removes some of the oppressive atmosphere.
- No active fear mechanic, meaning that you don’t have to worry about taking fear from being in darker areas or near monsters.
- A few bonus puzzles.”
You can find the developer diary discussing the mode below.
Finally, Frictional Games have announced Amnesia: Rebirth is 40% off, with their others games being 80% off.
You can find the full rundown (via Steam) below.
You can’t let out a breath. The creature is only inches away. Its sole purpose – to feed off your terror. And so you crouch in the dark, trying to stop the fear rising, trying to silence what lies within you.
“I know you. I know what you’re capable of.”
In Amnesia: Rebirth, you are Tasi Trianon, waking up deep in the desert of Algeria. Days have passed. Where have you been? What did you do? Where are the others? Retrace your journey, pull together the fragments of your shattered past; it is your only chance to survive the pitiless horror that threatens to devour you.
“Do not allow yourself anger, do not allow yourself to fear.”
Time is against you. Step into Tasi’s shoes and guide her through her personal terror and pain. While you struggle to make your way through a desolate landscape, you must also struggle with your own hopes, fears, and bitter regrets. And still you must continue, step by step, knowing that if you fail you will lose everything.
- First-person narrative horror experience
- Explore environments and uncover their histories.
- Overcome puzzles that stand in your way.
- Carefully manage your limited resources, both physical and mental.
- Encounter horrific creatures and use your wits and understanding of the world to escape them.
Amnesia: Rebirth is launching for Windows PC (via the Epic Games Store, GOG, and Steam), and PlayStation 4.