Insomniac Games have revealed the RYNO 8 for Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart; which features Easter eggs from other PlayStation titles.
As previously reported, recurring villain Dr. Nefarious has obtained the Dimensionator; and in the ensuing battle becomes damaged. This begins to tear the fabric of reality apart; separating Ratchet and Clank. They are sent into a dimension where “Emperor Nefarious” succeeded in his goals, and female Lombax Rivet is part of the resistance.
During the “takeover” of the game’s official Twitter account, information about the game was presented by the protagonists; Ratchet, Clank, and Rivet. This also included the reveal of super-weapon, the RYNO 8.
The RYNO (Rip Ya a New One) are typically outlawed rapid-fire missile launchers; unleashing a barrage of shots that kill most enemies and bosses at an alarming rate. As such, they’re usually earned by gathering a huge number of Bolts, or finding hidden collectibles across the galaxy to build it.
This time, the RYNO 8 has taken on new properties. It pulls random objects from other dimensions, and drops them with explosive force. These items will seemingly include items from other PlayStation exclusive games.
Ratchet: We made it outta the rift with a new super weapon: the RYNO 8!
Clank: It seems this device can drop objects from other dimensions into ours. Fascinating.#RatchetPS5Takeover #SunsetOverdrive @Guerrilla @SuckerPunchProd @Naughty_Dog @PlayStation pic.twitter.com/TavBdHw3oL
— Insomniac Games (@insomniacgames) June 7, 2021
In the trailer above we see the Thunderjaw from Horizon Zero Dawn; along with other items (the bright red box is an explosive crate from the Ratchet & Clank series). Based on screenshots from other PlayStation games, it seems items from Sunset Overdrive, Uncharted, and Sly Cooper will be dropped on players.
As an aside, @Blueknight_V2 noticed the RYNO 8 resembled the Sheepinator in Ratchet & Clank (2016). This weapon turns enemies into harmless sheep, and (in the 2016 remake) designed by Dr. Nefarious. As the Twitter account called upon fans to guess Nefarious’ password to get the RYNO 8 from his ship ([email protected]) it could be the Doctor designed this super weapon.
You can find the full rundown (via PlayStation) below.
Blast your way through an interdimensional adventure.
Go dimension-hopping with Ratchet and Clank as they take on an evil emperor from another reality. Jump between action-packed worlds, and beyond at mind-blowing speeds – complete with dazzling visuals and an insane arsenal – as the intergalactic adventurers blast onto the PS5™ console.
The intergalactic adventurers are back with a bang in Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart.
- An evil robotic emperor is working overtime to wipe out organic life, with Ratchet and Clank’s own dimension next in his sights. You’ll need to dust off the dynamic pair’s outrageous weaponry and stop a dimensional collapse in its tracks.
- Blast your way home with an arsenal of explosive new weapons, including the Burst Pistol, Topiary Sprinkler and the Shatterbomb. Zip above cityscapes, boost into combat and slip through dimensions with physics-defying new gadgets.
- Unite the double team supreme with a cast of familiar allies and new faces – including an all-new Lombax resistance fighter who is just as determined to take out the robotic scourge.
- Play as Ratchet and as the mysterious new female Lombax from another dimension.
- Discover Clank’s all-new interdimensional mechanics.
- Enjoy a visually dazzling interdimensional adventure fuelled by the mind-blowing speed and immersive features of the PlayStation®5 console. Built from the ground up by acclaimed studio Insomniac Games, you’ll go beyond what you see with in-game actions coming to life in your hands via the DualSense™ wireless controller.
Travel in style
- Experience the intergalactic shuffle of dimensional rifts as they combine new worlds and gameplay. Warp across battlefields to rapidly gain your combat advantage and repair planetary rifts with dimension-spanning puzzles.
- Visit never-before-seen planets and see alternate dimension versions of old favourites, now more alive than ever with exotic flora and fauna thanks to the power of the PlayStation®5 console.
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart launches June 11th on PlayStation 5.