Square Enix and People Can Fly’s new co-op shooter Outriders crushes Avengers’ playercount on Steam, despite the online game’s launch woes.
Both games were published by Square Enix, and while Marvel’s Avengers has the massive brand to prop it up, it’s curious Outriders crushes Avengers’ playercount on arguably its most popular platform, Steam. Being an online game, Outriders was basically unplayable at times since its launch later last week, and yet it still managed to outperform Avengers in merely days.
The fan-run Steam watchdog SteamDB charted the peak concurrent player count at just shy of 110,000 users a few hours after launch. The game had a free demo as well, which saw roughly 55,000 players testing it out back in February. The next biggest launch for Square Enix seems to be Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, which peaked at 52,485 – and that’s a single player game.
To compare, Square Enix’s massive license release with Marvel’s Avengers saw roughly an all time high of 31,000 concurrent users, just after the game’s launch. Marvel’s Avengers is currently sitting at roughly 1,200 concurrent users at the time of writing. It remains to be seen how popular Outriders will remain on Steam, but considering its servers are stabilizing, we’ll know soon.
In case you missed it, you can find our thorough hands-on preview for the Outriders here. Our thorough review for Outriders is coming shortly as well – stay tuned.
You can find the full rundown (via Steam) below:
OUTRIDERS is a 1-3 player co-op RPG shooter set in an original, dark and desperate sci-fi universe.
As mankind bleeds out in the trenches of Enoch, you’ll create your own Outrider and embark on a journey across the hostile planet.
With rich storytelling spanning a diverse world, you’ll leave behind the slums and shanty towns of the First City and traverse forests, mountains and desert in the pursuit of a mysterious signal.
Combining intense gunplay with violent powers and an arsenal of increasingly twisted weaponry and gear-sets, OUTRIDERS offers countless hours of gameplay from one of the finest shooter developers in the industry – People Can Fly.
- INTENSITY OF A SHOOTER, DEPTH OF AN RPG – OUTRIDERS’ brutal and bloody combat combines frenetic gunplay, violent powers and deep RPG systems to create a true genre hybrid.
- A DARK AND DESPERATE JOURNEY – Discover the hostile planet of Enoch as you embark on a journey to the source of a mysterious signal.
- DYNAMIC 1-3 PLAYER CO-OP – Play single-player or join up to two friends in drop-in drop-out co-op as you tackle the horrors of a hyper-evolved planet.
- FOUR UNIQUE CLASSES – Create and customise your own Outrider and choose from four unique classes each with its own skill tree to define your own playstyle.
- SCAVENGE & ADAPT – Customise and upgrade your Outrider with countless items of mod-able guns and gear, as you leave humanity behind.
Outriders is now available across Windows PC (via Steam and the Epic Games Store), Xbox One, Xbox Series X+S, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, and Stadia. A playable demo for the game is currently available.