Fan group Vortal Storm has finally released their ambitious Half-Life 2 conversion mod, Lambda Wars, to PC.
Lambda Wars is now available for free on Windows PC, via Steam. The conversion mod was originally started 13 years ago under its original name – Half-Life 2: Wars.
The current beta build of the game includes two factions, the Combine and the Rebels, as well as the “lost” enemies in Half-Life 2, like the mortar synth and the crab synth, both of which originaly only appeard in art books of the game.
Here’s a rundown on the mod:
Lambda Wars is a free multiplayer Source Engine modification for Alien Swarm set in the Half-Life 2 universe that brings the war between mankind and their brutal Combine overlords to a traditional real-time strategy (RTS) setting. Lead the uprising as a commander of the Resistance or crush the rebellion as an overlord of the Combine, with both factions featuring a full host of units, abilities, buildings, research and defenses. Lambda Wars features full-fledged RTS gameplay and a robust RTS interface and is focused on multiplayer but strategic AI opponents and dedicated singleplayer missions are also included.
- Classic real-time strategy (RTS) gameplay in the Half-Life 2 world
- Multiplayer support and game lobby including spectator mode
- Wide variety of maps for up to 8 human or AI players
- Play as either Combine or Resistance (and also Antlions in Sandbox mode)
- Full unit tech tree that allows you to command everything from Manhacks to Striders
- Full-fledged RTS interface and HUD with everything from minimap and fog of war to unit and production building groups
- Build production and research facilities to requisition better units and unlock abilities and upgrades
- Defensive structures, turrets and mines help defend your headquarters and vital resource points
- Multiple game modes
- Singleplayer missions, tutorial map and offline AI skirmish mode