Square Enix has announced a delay for the next-gen versions of Marvel’s Avengers.
The game’s next-generation versions on Xbox Series X+S and PlayStation 5 will forgo their planned launch-day releases on both platforms, for one sometime in 2021. Crystal Dynamics studio boss Scot Amos said the delay is “to ensure that we give our team the time to deliver a next-gen experience showcasing all that this game is meant to be.”
Here’s a message from Square Enix regarding the delay:
We have been thrilled to see so many of you enjoying Marvel’s Avengers; to watch you fall in love with Kamala Khan in the Reassemble campaign, customize iconic Super Heroes your way, and discover new War Zone co-op strategies with your friends.
Marvel’s Avengers’ launch was not without turbulence, and we recognize that a number of issues detracted from your enjoyment of the game. This does not align with Crystal Dynamics’ value of craftsmanship, and for that we sincerely apologize.
Over the past weeks, our team around the world has been heads down fixing bugs and tuning key gameplay systems guided in part by your feedback. Since launch, we’ve released rapid updates to address these bugs, improve game stability, and refine our matchmaking system. While our work is never done, these fixes and additions have made improvements to the overall player experience.
Since release, Square has addressed literally thousands of issues with the game, which you can read more about here. You can also find our thorough review for the game here – we found it very pretty but rife with issues and progress bottlenecking due to in-game currency, and more.
Marvel’s Avengers is now available for Windows PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Google Stadia.
Here’s a rundown on the game:
Assemble your team of Earth’s Mightiest Heroes, embrace your powers, and live your Super Hero dreams.
Marvel’s Avengers is an epic, third-person, action-adventure game that combines an original, cinematic story with single-player and co-operative gameplay*. Assemble into a team of up to four players online, master extraordinary abilities, customize a growing roster of Heroes, and defend the Earth from escalating threats.
Play an Original Avengers Story
Marvel’s Avengers begins at A-Day, where Captain America, Iron Man, the Hulk, Black Widow, and Thor are unveiling a new, hi-tech Avengers Headquarters in San Francisco. The celebration turns deadly when a mysterious enemy causes a catastrophic accident which results in massive devastation. Blamed for the tragedy, the Avengers disband. Five years later, with all Super Heroes outlawed and the world in peril, a sprawling adventure ignites when a determined young woman named Kamala Khan sets out to reassemble and rebuild the Avengers to stop the unchecked power of the secretive new force known as AIM.
Marvel’s Avengers continues the epic journey with new Heroes and new narrative delivered on an ongoing basis, for the definitive Avengers gaming experience.
Embrace Your Powers
- Progress through the single player campaign to rebuild your Hero roster and restore their powers; then continue to battle AIM solo or online with friends.
- Unlock powerful skills and new gear for each of Earth’s Mightiest Heroes to suit your playstyle.
- Customize these iconic Heroes with classic, fan-favorite, and all-new original outfits inspired by over 80 years of Marvel history.
- Flexible combat system, dynamically scaling difficulty, plus customizable gear and skills to support unique playstyles for each Hero.
- Using a reclaimed helicarrier as a base of operations, players launch Hero Missions (single-player) and Warzone Missions (single-player or co-op) in hotspots around the globe.
- Up to four players assemble online to defend the Earth from escalating threats that only the Avengers can overcome.
- The narrative will unfold over multiple years, with every new Super Hero and region delivered at no additional cost.