The Trese Brothers have released the Catalyst update for their sandbox space RPG, Star Traders: Frontiers.
Star Traders: Frontiers is a sandbox space RPG that allows players to explore and make a name for themselves in a procedurally generated galaxy. Become a starship captain, assemble a crew, accept contracts, and fight in turn-based battles on foot and in the depths of space. The game is available on Windows PC, Linux, Mac (all via Steam), Android, and iOS.
The Catalyst update’s main new feature is the introduction of the Scientist job. Scientists can focus on being your ship’s Science Officer, or dip into xenobiology.
The Scientist also introduces a new Scientific Intel resource that can be acquired from encounters, and sold to earn a hefty profit. The update also increases the job level cap to 45, and overall level to 36. You can read more about the update here.
You can find the rundown (via Steam) below:
Command your ship and crew as a space pirate, merchant, bounty hunter, and more in Star Traders: Frontiers – an epic space RPG from Trese Brothers Games. Venture forth into a massive open universe, rich with adventure and the lore of the Star Traders. Choose your path by assembling and commanding your custom crew and spaceship in a constantly evolving galaxy torn by internal strife, political intrigue, and alien threats. Will you fly as a pirate terrorizing shipping lanes, join the solar wars as a military captain, or track targets across the stars as a fearsome bounty hunter?
- Explore a rich, open universe: Discover endless procedurally-generated galactic maps, meet unique characters, and take on enemies to conquer the galaxy!
- Become an intergalactic captain: Take on the role of a spy, smuggler, explorer, pirate, merchant, bounty hunter, and more (33 jobs total)!
- Customize your own spaceship: Choose from more than 350 upgrades and 45 ship hulls to build your very own vessel to venture across the vast reaches of space.
- Assemble your wing fleet: Outfit your capital ship as a carrier and launch interdictors, bombers and shuttles into space combat against your enemy
- Assemble and tailor a loyal crew: Assign talents and equip specialized gear for every spaceship crew member.
- Experience an ever-changing narrative: Decide to make friends or foes with other factions and influence political, economic, and personal vendettas.
- Mold the crew by your choices: As you make decisions and set the tone for your ship, your crew will grow and change to match. Destroy enemy ships with all hands on deck and your crew will become more bloodthirsty and savage. Explore distant worlds and loot dangerous wastelands and your crew will become intrepid and clever … or scarred and half-mad.
- Varied Difficulty Options! play with save slots to try out different builds or storylines or turn on character permadeath and enjoy classic roguelike experience
- Achievement Unlocks: accomplish story and challenge goals to unlock additional optional (but not better) content like new starting ships and new starting contacts