Today’s Niche Spotlight is Popup Dungeon, a turn-based tactical roguelite dungeon crawler by Triple.B.Titles and Humble Games.
Popup Dungeon is a turn-based, party-driven dungeon crawler inspired by tabletop games, and features a papercraft aesthetic. Generate a party and play through a variety of campaigns and scenarios, earning permanent charms and upgrades to improve your chances at future expeditions.
While the game launched with quite a bit of playable content, the real draw of the game is its customization. Players can easily create their own campaigns, characters, items, tile sets, and even completely different genres of games within Popup Dungeon‘s in-game creation tools. There is also full Steam Workshop support, allowing players to easily share their creations.
You can find the launch trailer below.
You can find a rundown of the game (via Steam) below:
Popup Dungeon is a tactical roguelike RPG inspired by our favorite tabletop games. Make your own abilities, items, heroes, villains, and games easier than ever before. Create and share anything you can imagine.
- Out of the Box: 1500+ abilities, 420+ items, 200+ fully-voiced enemies, 36 playable characters
- Games included: Branching story-driven campaigns, gameplay-focused runs, and the 25 campaigns of The Wizard’s Tower
- Endless Content: Lots of games have procedural content, but Popup’s easy-to-use creation systems allow for limitless handcrafted content. Just hit the download button!
- Game Creation: Tie nodes together to create your own games; from classic RPG adventures to grueling dungeon crawls and dating simulators, you can do it all, no programming knowledge necessary!
- Persistent Gains: Collect and combine charms to power up your party and climb higher than before.
The enigmatic Wizard, voiced by John de Lancie, has challenged humanity to a duel of creativity. But to defeat him, first you’ll have to climb his tower: 25 campaigns of ever-increasing difficulty that will take you from the depths of dungeons to the furthest reaches of space and everything in between.
- Creation Systems: Popup turns game design into a game. Turn your pictures into 3D cutouts to use as enemies and equipment, clip and fade sounds in engine, add your own images to ability cards, everything you create is automatically balanced and the AI is handled for you.
- Dungeon Master: Try on The Wizard’s hat. Create your own adventures and take control of the enemies.
- Flexible Party Size: The dungeon can be challenged with 1 to 5 characters at a time.
- Sandbox-like: Create and add Modes to any game you’ve beaten to randomize enemies, add companions, grant abilities, go hardcore, or customize your experience in any way you’d like!
- Additional Tile Sets: Go beyond the dungeon! Explore Star Ships, Haunted Houses, Deserts, Japanese Villages and Castles, Steampunk Airships, Post-Apocalyptic landscapes, and more…
- Accessible Game Play: Very easy to play, deviously hard to master.
- Interactable Props: From Treasure Chests to Vendi-Machines, discover props and secrets that will help shape the course of your crawl. Custom interactables coming soon!
If you’re a developer and want your game showcased on Niche Spotlight, please contact us!
This is Niche Spotlight. In this column, we regularly introduce new games to our fans, so please leave feedback and let us know if there’s a game you want us to cover!