The latest update to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate has added a new stage, and made it easier to enter the Elite Smash ranks online.
As detailed on the Sora_Sakurai Twitter account (translation: Google Translate), the new “Small Battlefield” is designed for 1-on-1 matches, where the regular Battlefield or Omega Battlefield stages (and forms for all stages) may have been a too wide. As seen in the above image, up to four players can play on it however.
In addition, it is now easier to enter the Elite Smash bracket online, with adjustments made to the Global Smash Power system. You can find the full patch notes for Ver 8.1.0 here, and below.
- The Small Battlefield stage has been added. You can also set Small Battlefield as a Preferred Rule in Online battles.
- You can now select any stage-specific music for the Battlefield, Small Battlefield, Big Battlefield, and Final Destination stages.
- The online user experience has been adjusted.
- The way matching is determined when using Preferred Rules has been adjusted.
- Following a look at the current number of players eligible for Elite Smash, the threshold for entry has been recalculated to allow more players. Additionally, the way initial values for Global Smash Power are calculated has also been adjusted.Further investigations and adjustments to Online mode are expected.
- Several issues have been fixed to improve gameplay experience.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is available now for Nintendo Switch. In case you missed it, you can find our thorough review for the game here (we highly recommend it!)