The Pokemon Company have revealed during their Pokemon Presents live stream that Mega Evolution is coming to Pokemon GO, along with Pokemon GO Fest 2020 taking place world-wide.
The Pokemon GO Fest events typically took place in a real world city. However, with the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, Niantic announced that Pokemon GO Fest 2020 will be a “virtual event experience.”
Taking place on July 25th and July 26th, players will have special in-game events after the purchase of a ticket for $14.99 USD via the App Store or Google Play. You can find the full rundown on the festivities below.
- Pokémon GO Fest 2020 Day 1: On Saturday, July 25, from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. local time, Trainers will enjoy the following.
- Trainers can access a Special Research story that they can get only on Day 1.
- Five rotating habitats—themed around fire, water, grass, battle, and friendship—will feature special Pokémon that go along with that habitat’s theme. These habitats will rotate every hour, so each habitat will be featured twice during Day 1.
- Trainers will be able to work together in the Global Challenge Arena! This GO Fest–exclusive feature will be available only to ticket holders. In the Global Challenge Arena, Trainers will have a chance to join forces in order to complete a collaborative challenge each hour. If Trainers complete a challenge, they will earn a bonus for the remainder of the hour. You can check the Global Challenge Arena screen to keep track of global progress!
- Trainers will be able to encounter over 75 species of Pokémon in the wild, in raids, and by completing Special Research tasks.
- Pokémon GO Fest 2020 Day 2: On Sunday, July 26, from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. local time, Trainers will enjoy…something very different! We want the Day 2 experience to be a surprise, so ticket holders will learn what we have in store that very day. There’ll also be another Special Research story for Trainers to enjoy.
The Pokemon Center is also selling a commemorative Pokemon GO Fest T-Shirt for $24.99 USD. Niantic also states that “There will also be free downloadable and printable paper crafts and decorations to help bring the Pokémon GO Fest experience to life for every Trainer in your household to enjoy. These will be available to download only for a limited time.”
There will also be weekly challenges leading up to the event, with Timed Research lines to unlock additional Pokemon to appear during Pokemon GO Fest 2020.
Niantic states that they will be donating proceeds from ticket sales, at a minimum of $5 million USD. Half of this will “used to fund new projects from Black gaming and AR creators that can live on the Niantic platform, with the goal of increasing content that represents a more diverse view of the world. The other half will go to US nonprofit organizations that are helping local communities rebuild.”
In addition, it was revealed during the Pokemon Presents live stream that Galarian Farfetch’d are now appearing in Pokemon GO to celebrate the launch of The Isle of Armor expansion for Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield. This will run from June 17th to June 18th at 6:00 a.m. PDT.
Further, Niantic states that some avatar items Inspired by Galarian Farfetch’d are available in the Style Shop, along with free avatar items based on the training clothes players can wear in The Isle of Armor.
Finally, the Pokemon Presents live stream revealed that Mega Evolution was coming to Pokemon GO. The mechanic was introduced in Pokemon X and Y, where certain Pokemon could temporarily evolve into a more powerful form during battle. Details are scant at this time.
Pokemon GO is available on Android and iOS.