Dahku have announced retro-style precision platformer Rotund Rebound, along with the game having a demo as part of the Steam Game Festival: Summer Edition.
As stated in the press release (via Games Press) and press kit, the game was made by a two-brother team, with their inspiration of hardcore precision platformers including Super Meat Boy, VVVVVV, and Celeste.
Promising to “breathe new life into the genre,” Rotund Rebound has the Dark Carrot capture your fat animal friends, each playable and with their own unique abilities.
The 2D platforming levels feature no solid ground. As such, your round character will constantly bounce. Players will need to master timing down to the millisecond to navigate hazard and enemy filled levels, and beat them as fast as possible. While fast times are not needed to progress, the game is built for speedrunning.
Finally, the game will have a limited time demo available as part of the Steam Game Festival: Summer Edition from June 9th to June 14th.
You can find the announcement trailer below.
You can find the full rundown (via Steam) below.
Sentence has been passed on the dark carrot, so hop down the rabbit hole and hold on tight. Intangible terrain and ceaseless bouncing put a dynamic spin on precision platforming as you brave nightmare worlds to rescue your friends, conquer the shadows, and hurtle through hardcore challenges faster than you ever thought possible.
- Dive right into the gameplay with simple one-handed controls and discover the limitless depths of finesse that will make you a master.
- Explore lively interactive maps packed with rewarding locations and optional paths.
- Rescue your pudgy pals to play as them and unlock the potential of their unique abilities.
- Tackle extreme boss battles with bouncing as your only weapon.
- Handcrafted levels with built-in Time-Attack designed to open the thrill of speedrunning to everyone.
- Faster-than-lightning respawns shrug off failure and keep you in the action.
- Feel the retro love with pixel-perfect graphics, an exuberant chiptune-infused soundtrack, and difficulty that’s fair but not for the faint of heart.
Embrace and immerse yourself in all the charming weirdness that makes Rotund Rebound an experience you won’t soon forget.
Rotund Rebound launches January 21st, 2021 for Windows PC, Linux, Mac (all via Steam), Nintendo Switch, and Xbox One.
Update: In addition, Dahku have announced a special free spin-off, Rotund Zero.
“Rotund Zero features precision platforming on a 5-minute countdown, uniquely dynamic gameplay through randomly shuffled handcrafted levels, and a retro handheld-inspired world of weirdness!”
The game is exclusive to download through the game’s official Discord Server, for Windows PC, Linux, and Mac. You can find the trailer for that below.