This is Niche Spotlight. In this column, we regularly introduce new games to our fans, so please leave feedback and let us know if there’s a game you want us to cover!
Today’s Spotlight is Mainframe Defenders, a turn-based tactics game with a retro-futuristic computer interface aesthetic by Old Byte Apps, and Mega9Pixel.
A malicious computer virus has turned the robots at the Stargazer research complex against their masters. Lead a squad of four advanced prototypes against the hijacked bots as you retake the facility, purge infected nodes, and defend the mainframe.
Each of your prototypes can be customized with new weapons and gear you loot from enemy bots. The core mechanics themselves are based around item, and heat management.
You can find a gameplay trailer below.
Mainframe Defenders is available on Windows PC, and Linux (both via Steam) for $9.99. There is also a free demo you can try out.
You can find a rundown of the game (via Steam) below:
MAINFRAME DEFENDERS – tactical retrofuturistic strategy game.
A computer virus has infiltrated the “Stargazer” research complex. Most of the robotic units are controlled by the virus. Lead a squad of 4 prototypes on a mission to defend complex mainframe. You’ll have to repel assaults, destroy unit fabricators, download valuable data, clear infected nodes and do more on your way to deepest parts of the complex. Work with item limitations and drawbacks to build powerful combinations. Destroy your enemies with diverse tactics: overheat them, melt with corrosion, absorb damage and return fire. But don’t rely on a single strategy too much – enemies might have a way to counter it. But above everything else: defend the Mainframe!
* RETRO STYLE: Graphics, inspired by 80s terminal PC with hybrid synthwave soundtrack.
* DIVERSE TACTICS: Cook enemy robots to death, bury them under your bullets, eliminate with a single powerful shot, or render your opponents useless with debuffs – this game is designed with a lot of viable strategies in mind.
* BUILD YOUR SQUAD: Similar to how in card games you have to build your deck, in MAINFRAME DEFENDERS you have to combine different items with unique abilities, to create an unstoppable squad. Work with item drawbacks or double down on them, creating flawed, yet powerful build!
* UNIQUE ENEMIES: Enemy squad won’t sit idle, though. Each unit has its own role in the squad and designed to counter certain strategies. Pick your targets wisely, or you will lose.
* PROCEDURAL LEVELS: Hand-made rooms are combined with procedural generation to create random levels. Missions have differing objectives, combined with unique mission conditions. Will you accept the challenge or avoid the unknown and risk to fall behind?
* PROGRESSION SYSTEM: Victory or defeat, the game is not over yet! Unlock new units, each with a unique set of upgrades and loadouts. Unlock new items to bolster your new strategies.
If you’re a developer and want your game showcased on Niche Spotlight, please contact us!