Nicalis has announced they will release a physical version for the classic shoot ’em up Ikaruga.
The Treasure-developed shmup will get a physical version on both PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch.
“Physical copies of Ikaruga for Nintendo Switch and PS4 are currently in active production,” Nicalis said in a tweet announcement. “A release date will be announced when all the details are finalized.”
Here’s a rundown on the game:
Shoot! Dodge! and… Get Hit!?
Ikaruga is a vertical shoot ’em up that features an unique polarity-switching gameplay. Switch the ship’s polarity and “get hit and absorb” enemy bullets! Achieve High Score with the chain bonus!
- The player ship, all enemies and bullets are black or white. Player’s polarity can be switched at will.
- Your ship can absorb enemy bullets of the same polarity. Filled energy goes to fire powerful homing lasers! (Release Power.)
- Defeat three enemies in a row of the same polarity and get the chain bonus! Building up high scores feels like a puzzle game?
- Spectacular 3D graphics. Fast and smooth game play.
- Two-player game (Local) and Double Play modes: You can play a two-player game with one controller.
- Five levels. Tactical level design and boss battles.
- Three difficulty levels: Easy, Normal, Hard. Change your tactics depending on the difficulty.
- Two game modes: Arcade, Prototype (not hidden).
- Replay data save is available. You can also download them from the Leaderboards.
- Vertical screen mode support. You can also play the game like a side-scrolling shooter by rotating only the game screen.
Ikaruga was originally released for arcades back in 2001, followed by its Dreamcast in 2002, GameCube in 2003, Xbox 360 in 2008, Windows PC in 2014, Switch in 2018, and finally PlayStation 4 in 2018.