This is Niche Spotlight. In this column, we regularly introduce new games to our fans, so please leave feedback and let us know if there’s a game you want us to cover!
Today’s Spotlight is The Blackout Club, a cooperative horror game by Question that recently left Early Access.
Up to four players control a group of teenagers in a small American town gripped by a bizarre conspiracy. At night, everyone leaves their beds and sleepwalks around town before returning home. They have no recollection of what happened the night before, or what force is compelling them to sleepwalk.
The group of teens wake up in the forest during one such event, but no one will believe their story. Worse still, one of their friends has disappeared. Together, the group decides to form The Blackout Club with the goal of gathering evidence, uncovering the truth behind the sleepwalking, and finding their friend. You can check out the launch trailer above.
Players must work together to complete objectives in procedurally generated adventures as they piece together the town’s hidden secrets. Unfortunately, the malignant force behind the sleepwalking is hunting them.
Since the sleepwalkers are innocent members of your local community, players will need to use various gadgets and stealthy tactics to avoid confrontations with them. Players are also being tracked by a mysterious entity called The Shape, a formless being that can only be seen when you close your eyes.
The Blackout Club is available on Windows PC (via Steam), PS4, and Xbox One for $29.99.
Here’s a rundown of the game:
The Blackout Club is a first-person co-op horror game centered around a group of teenage friends investigating a monstrous secret beneath the skin of their small town.
Every night, everyone in town gets out of bed and sleepwalks. In the morning, they wake up with no recollection of what happened or where they were.
IT TOOK YOUR FRIEND. THEY SAY IT’S NOT REAL
Some teenagers in this town woke up during a few of these “Blackouts” themselves, finding themselves in the woods or on train tracks with no idea how they got there. When they tell their parents, their teachers, the police… no one believes them. Taking matters into their own hands, they formed a club – The Blackout Club – to get to the bottom of it. Unfortunately, the recent disappearance of a close friend means that the sleepwalking isn’t just strange – it could be deadly.
IT WALKS AMONG THEM
You and your friends must team up to overcome the powerful forces that are arrayed against you. Using tools such as drones, noisemakers, and grappling hooks, you will outwit and outmaneuver the adults while attempting to obtain and record evidence that will prove what is happening to the rest of the world. With procedural elements that change goals, enemies, loot and more, no two nights in the neighborhood will be the same.
- A Modern Horror Setting To Explore: A beautiful and modern neighborhood full of houses, woods, and a very mysterious subterranean network of tunnels.
Cooperative Gameplay: Drop-in/Drop-out multiplayer sessions for 1-4 players.
- Each Night A New Adventure: Missions are procedurally-generated and vary according to player level and progress. Enemy Patrols, Loot Placement, Mission Objectives, Environmental Obstacles, and other aspects of each night’s mission are never the same twice for a high amount of replayability.
- Richly-Simulated World Supporting Many Play Styles: Players have the freedom to go through the game at their own pace and choose the paths they take through the world. Experiment with different abilities and items to find creative solutions to any problem.
- A Deep Mystery Under The Surface: Though we are a small team, we have decades of AAA experience from before we went independent, and our last game The Magic Circle has won awards for its story and narrative. That being said… with The Blackout Club, we have a few new tricks up our sleeve we think are going to surprise even the most veteran horror game fans.
- Character Growth & Customization: Players get to create their own character and customize them by unlocking new clothing, gestures, and hairstyles. As players level up they will also unlock new expansion slots and upgrade their abilities.
- An Unseen Threat: If players are not careful and draw too much attention to themselves, The Shape will come for them. You’ll need to stick together and look out for one another while it hunts you down. There’s one catch… You can only see The Shape by closing your eyes.
TOGETHER, WE CAN FIND HER. FRIENDS TO THE END
No one believes you, join The Blackout Club and make them see the truth.
If you’re a developer and want your game showcased on Niche Spotlight, please contact us!