This is Niche Spotlight. In this column, we regularly introduce new games to our fans, so please leave feedback and let us know if there’s a game you want us to cover!
Today’s Spotlight is Streets of Rogue, a top-down action-roguelite by Matt Dabrowski and tinyBuild that recently left Early Access.
Streets of Rogue takes its inspiration from both classic roguelite games and the older top-down GTA titles. The game tasks you with exploring a procedurally generated city as a vigilante fighting against crime and corruption. You can check out the launch trailer above.
Streets of Rogue features dozens of playable characters with their own unique set of traits. The game emphasizes player freedom, and allows you to tackle missions in whichever way you see fit, preferably by using the game’s arsenal of wacky weapons and items. There’s also both local and online co-op for up to four friends.
Streets of Rogue is available on Windows PC, Mac, Linux (all via Steam), PS4, Switch, and Xbox One for $19.99.
Here’s a rundown of the game:
Streets of Rogue is a rogue-lite about player choice, freedom, and anarchic fun. The game takes inspiration from fast-paced top-down rogue-lites like Binding of Isaac and Nuclear Throne, and adds free-form, experimentation-driven, emergent gameplay elements of RPGs like Deus Ex.
Rather than taking place in a dungeon, the game is set in a functioning, procedurally generated city, where complex AI informs denizens from all walks of life, who are just trying to get by in their daily activities.
In order to progress, the player will need to accomplish specific mission goals in any way they see fit through use of their special character traits, items, and the environment.
The Mighty Feature-List
- Play the game YOUR way! Don’t want to kill anybody? That’s cool! Want to hack computers? Got ya covered!
- Random world generation and TOTALLY EXTREME gameplay variety means you can play for 600 hours and not get bored! Seriously though, go outside!!!
- Super-advanced artificial intelligence that won’t put up with your crap! Outsmart these virtual humans and feel superior to your computer!
- Play as over 20 (and growing!) wildly different types of characters! Bartender, scientist, hacker, gorilla — hey, your job is probably in there too!
- Stupidly huge variety of items! Shrink rays, hypnotizing devices, boomboxes, bear traps, food processors.. Oh, and guns too.
- 4-Player online and local cooperative modes lets you brutalize goons AND loneliness!
- Lead a gang, free slaves, drink beer, gib ghosts, become a vampire, shrink people and stomp on them. The most insanely varied game ever made.
If you’re a developer and want your game showcased on Niche Spotlight, please contact us!