Square Enix has announced a remaster for Final Fantasy VIII.
The classic game is being remastered for Windows PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch. A release is set for sometime this year. Featured above, you can view the debut trailer for the remaster.
The remaster has some new features, including new character models and mechanics:
- Battle Improvement: Sets HP and ATB at maximum, enabling special skills to be activated whenever.
- No Encounters: Toggle battle encounters off or on.
- Triple Speed: All scenes move at three times normal speed (except movies).
The Windows PC version also has some new features:
- Get All Items: Get all items, excluding some items.
- Get All Abilities: Acquire all learn-able Guardian Force abilities.
- Guardian Force Level MAX: Max out all acquired Guardian Force levels.
- Gil MAX: Max out Gil.
- Magic MAX: Max out obtainable magic stock.
- Get All Special Skills: Acquire all special skills.
- Get All Cards: Get the maximum number of cards, excluding rarer cards.
It’ll be interesting to learn how Square Enix reverse engineered the original Final Fantasy VIII to remaster it – considering the original source code to the game was lost many years ago.