This is Niche Spotlight. In this column, we regularly introduce new games to our fans, so please leave feedback and let us know if there’s a game you want us to cover!
Today’s Spotlight is Project Winter, a survival and social deduction game by Other Ocean Interactive.
In Project Winter, up to eight players must work together to survive the elements and treachery from within. You can watch a trailer above.
The survivors are tasked with completing a series of objectives, gathering the supplies they need to fend off harsh weather, wild animals, and starvation, and ultimately call in a rescue vehicle. However, one of the survivors is a traitor that is trying to subvert the group’s efforts and pick them off one by one.
Project Winter is available on Windows PC via Steam for $19.99.
Here’s a rundown of the game:
Betray your friends in this 8 person multiplayer focused on social deception and survival.
Communication and teamwork is essential to the survivors’ ultimate goal of escape. Gather resources, repair structures, and brave the wilderness together. Just beware that there are traitors within the group who will be steadily gaining strength as the match progresses. Traitors only goal is to stop the survivors by any means necessary.
- Escape to Survive – As a survivor amongst a group of strangers you will have to collect resources, battle the elements and complete a series of tasks in order to call in one of several rescue vehicles.
- Hidden Roles – Amongst the group of survivors, lurk unidentified traitors. The traitors are known to each other but not the survivors. Their goal is to stop the survivors from escaping without being identified and killed.
- Teamwork – Survivors cannot escape unless they work together. Players who wander off on their own will have difficulty surviving the elements, can fall victim to hostile wildlife, or become easy targets for the traitors.
- Communication – There are several ways to communicate with other players, including proximity-based voice chat, private voice chat radio channels, text chat, and emotes – communication is key if the survivors have any hope of completing their tasks and defending against the traitors.
- Betrayal & Deception – The traitors are outnumbered and weak when the game begins, they may infiltrate the survivors and earn their trust while they build up their strength. Survivors can never be 100% sure of who to trust. The traitors can take advantage of this by spreading lies, and pitting the survivors against each other.
If you’re a developer and want your game showcased on Niche Spotlight, please contact us!