Blizzard Entertainment has allowed GOG to sell the original Diablo via their store.
The legendary 1996 action RPG is now available digitally via the store, a first for the game. This also means the game is DRM-free, so once you buy it the game is essentially yours (full installer, etc) regardless of GOG existing or not in 20 years.
The GOG version of the game presents the original vanilla release (running on the 1.09b version) of Diablo with a scaling fix to properly render the game in its original 4:3 aspect ratio, as well as a “DX” version that is DirectX supported (which GOG has added their own tweaks to).
The DirectX version of the game comes with support for a bunch of display resolution options and refresh rates, v-sync support, a borderless window option, and two visual filters: anisotropic filtering up to 16x and anti-aliasing up to 8x MSAA – the latter of which makes the game look quite blurry.
There’s an “integer scaling” option in the main settings that secures the game’s original pixels to their original 1:1 aspect ratio. This works well with the anti-aliased version as it helps preserve the original pixel-look without it looking super blurry.
If you want to play with others online via the original Battle.net portal – you’ll have to run the original vanilla build and open up some networking ports (6112-6119, both TCP and UDP). The ancient multiplayer component does not work under the Blizzard App, though.
Lastly, Blizzard Entertainment is also planning on allowing GOG to re-release the original WarCraft and WarCraft 2 on their store, but did not specify a release window.
Here’s a rundown on the legendary game:
Traveler, stay awhile and listen…
Darkness stirs beneath Tristram. An ancient evil sweeps across the land, plunging it into civil war and terrorizing the populace. A mad king, his missing son, and a mysterious archbishop are all pieces of the puzzle you need to hack through. You have journeyed to the source of this evil. The town of Tristram – now inhabited only by a handful of survivors, broken and twisted by the madness that has befallen them. A cathedral stands there, built over the ruins of an ancient monastery. Eerie lights and ungodly sounds are heard echoing through its abandoned halls, and that is where you shall venture.
Embark, if you dare, on a quest to destroy The Prime Evil…
- Experience the legendary action/RPG that influenced an entire genre.
- Storm Diablo’s halls as either a Warrior, a Sorcerer or a Rogue – each with unique skills and abilities.
- Unite to destroy Diablo – up to 4 players can band together via Internet, network, or play head-to-head via TCP/IP.
- Unprecedented replayability – over 200 different monsters inhabit Diablo’s ever-changing labyrinth. Equip epic items to conquer fearsome bosses and their minions.
- A spine-chilling story – experience the horror of a world held in the grasp of The Lord of Terror.
Ahhh, fresh meat!
Travelers looking for the authentic Diablo experience can play the game as it was in 1996, with period-appropriate 20 FPS SVGA graphics, and the ability to matchmake through the classic version of Blizzard’s Battle.net® online-gaming service.
For those wanting something a bit more modern, Blizzard and GOG.COM have collaborated on an updated version of the game tuned for today’s gaming PCs, which includes out-of-the-box Windows 10 compatibility, a host of bug fixes and high-resolution support.
- The most voted game on the GOG.com wishlist, finally trapped in a DRM-free soulstone!
- Return to the beginning of this dark saga, now in digital format for the first time ever.
- Better value than Wirt’s wares, guaranteed.