This is Niche Spotlight. In this column, we regularly introduce new games to our fans, so please leave feedback and let us know if there’s a game you want us to cover!
Today’s Spotlight is about EXAPUNKS, the latest game by Zachtronics, the indie developer behind such hits as Opus Magnum, Shenzhen I/O, and Spacechem.
As with many of their previous titles, EXAPUNKS is an open-ended puzzle game that also doubles as a teaching tool. It’s the far distant, dystopian future of 1997. You are an elite hacker looking to retire, until you contract the phage.
You are given a deal you can’t refuse: one hack for one dose of medicine. Program viruses and hack into banks, universities, TV stations, factories, and even your own body. You can check out a trailer above.
Here’s a rundown of the game:
The year is 1997. You used to be a hacker, but now you have the phage. You made a deal: one hack, one dose. There’s nothing left to lose… except your life.
EXAPUNKS is the latest open-ended puzzle game from Zachtronics, the creators of Opus Magnum, SHENZHEN I/O, TIS-100, and more.
- READ ZINES – Learn to hack from TRASH WORLD NEWS, the underground computer magazine. Tutorials, hacking tips, secret information, searing commentary— TRASH WORLD NEWS has you covered.
- WRITE VIRUSES – Program your EXAs (EXecution Agents) to tear through networks, replicate themselves, trash files, terminate other EXAs— and leave without a trace.
- HACK EVERYTHING – Hack banks, universities, factories, TV stations, highway signs, game consoles, the government… oh yeah, and your own body.
- SLACK OFF – Play ПАСЬЯНС, if you hack the server where it’s stored. Or play HACK*MATCH, if you hack the region lock on your Sawayama WonderDisc. Or create your own homebrew games for the TEC Redshift… if you hack the development kit.
- TAKE DOWN YOUR FRIENDS – Compete with your friends by running your programs directly against theirs in all-out hacker battles. Make every cycle count.
- CREATE YOUR OWN PUZZLES – Create your own networks to hack, and share them with the world on Steam Workshop.
If you’re a developer and want your game showcased on Niche Spotlight, please contact us!