Studio Wildcard’s popular multiplayer survival game ARK: Survival Evolved has just released it’s third major expansion.
ARK: Extinction features a vast new area teeming with creatures, both organic and technological, to fight and bend to your will. You can check out the launch trailer above.
The biggest challenge of this new expansion comes in the form of the Titans, colossal monsters of flesh and metal that roam the bio-mechanical land you’ve come to explore.It should be noted that the console version of the expansion doesn’t come out until the 13th.
The release of Extinction coincides with a free weekend for the base game on Steam, which ends on Sunday. You’ll also have a chance to buy ARK and its previous expansions at a hefty discount.
Here’s a rundown of the expansion:
Finish your journey through the worlds of ARK in ‘Extinction’, where the story began and ends: on Earth itself! An Element-infested, ravaged planet filled with fantastical creatures both organic & technological, Earth holds both the secrets of the past and the keys to its salvation. As a veteran Survivor who has conquered all previous obstacles, your ultimate challenge awaits: can you defeat the gigantic roaming Titans which dominate the planet, and complete the ARK cycle to save Earth’s future?
- A PLANET IN DISTRESS – Extinction brings survivors back to where the mysterious journey all started; Earth. What was once a lush and thriving home world is now a corrupt, hostile and desolate shell of its former self. Venture into the diverse landscape where ruins of a past civilization reveal clues to Earth’s demise along with the keys to reviving its future. At the heart of this bleak and foreboding terrain is an overgrown, deserted technological metropolis that rises amidst the waste. Discover and explore long abandoned micro-biospheres which served as the early prototypes for the ARKs of today.
- TAME NEW CREATURES – Capture, tame and craft powerful and unusual organic and mechanical creature types different from anything previously seen in the ARK universe. Increase situational awareness by flying and controlling robotic surveillance drones. Harvest valuable resources by taming and feeding organic transmutation machines. Reach new heights and remote locations by climbing and teleporting with the ultimate security bot. Ensure your survival by building and piloting your own customizable battle mech to victory!
- CRAFT UNIQUE ITEMS – Ensure mastery on this forsaken world with many new and exotic craftable items. Keep your tames where you want them with a creature leash, use taxidermy tools to enhance your home decor with trophy mounts from your most memorable kills, span and traverse previously uncrossable gaps with a Tek bridge, store and preserve your favorite friendly creature in a portable cryopod for reuse later, utilize Tek gravity grenades to attract or repel foes to your advantage, and autonomously airlift loot back to your base with an airborne delivery crate!
- CONQUER NEW CHALLENGES – As Element runs rampant across Earth, corrupting and mutating all that it touches, Survivors must be prepared for the unique challenges fueled from these cataclysmic events. Engage in epic battles of titanic proportions when encountering the colossal Titans that rule this hostile planet as the ultimate apex predator. Scour the wastelands for orbital supply drops and protect the precious cargo they contain while fending off an onslaught of Element-corrupted monstrosities barely resembling their former selves. Survive and shelter from environmental anomalies such as Element eruptions, eclipses and meteor showers.
- ARK CONCLUSION – Return to Earth and complete your conquest of the ARK universe, gain sought after answers to advance the storyline, discover the fate of the original explorers, determine the true purpose of the ARK network, and unravel the remaining mysteries of the Homo Deus!
ARK: Extinction is now available for $19.99 by itself, and is included in the Season Pass. You can find ARK: Survival Evolved on Windows PC, Mac, Linux (all via Steam and the Humble Store), PS4, and Xbox One for $49.99.