This is Niche Spotlight. In this column, we regularly introduce new games to our fans, so please leave feedback and let us know if there’s a game you want us to cover!
In today’s Spotlight I’m going to cover Regions of Ruin, an open-world 2D RPG by Vox Games, Poysky Productions, and Phangd that takes quite a few cues from Noio’s Kingdom series. In fact, the devs even make that direct comparison with their sales pitch: “Ever wonder what would happen if Kingdom met a broad, skill-based open-world RPG? Welcome to Regions of Ruin.”
Like the game that inspired it, Regions of Ruin is a mix of a 2D fantasy town-building game and a side-scrolling adventure set in a large, open world. The primary difference is that Regions of Ruin is much closer to an RPG in terms of character development, dungeon-crawling, and combat.
Explore dungeons and caves in search of loot and resources to improve your character and expand your town. Rescue dwarves and bring them back to your town to unlock new buildings and features.
Another potential selling point for gamers that are getting a bit bored with procedural generation is that the world in Regions of Ruin is completely handcrafted, with no environmental randomization or algorithms to speak of. You can check out the launch trailer above.
Here’s a rundown of the game:
Regions of Ruin is a 2D side-scrolling RPG with town-building where you are introduced to an open world that progressively challenges your hero and settlement the further you delve into the vast continent.
You will discover a foreboding land ravaged by hundreds of years of hardship. Where, kingdoms have risen and fallen, settlements have been laid to waste and overrun by warring groups, and great mysteries lay hidden and waiting to be unearthed – assuming you can defeat their jealous guardians.
- Styled combat system with stats and levelling
- Skill tree to focus your fighting style
- Extensive loot and rare items to discover
- Forge your own equipment or smelt it for resources
- Open world exploration with a hand crafted environment, no randomized maps or levels, everything you see has been made with care
- Customised town building and expansion
- Rescue and recruit dwarves for your township (save them from extinction!)
- Send workers to harvest resources from explored regions
- Hire Mercenaries to help in battle
- Multitude of Quests and a main storyline
If you’re a developer and want your game showcased on Niche Spotlight, please contact us!