This is Niche Spotlight. In this column, we regularly introduce new games to our fans, so please leave feedback and let us know if there’s a game you want us to cover!
Today’s Spotlight is about Synthetik, a twin-stick roguelite shooter by Flow Fire Games that originally launched back in March.
In the distant future of 1985, Kaida Corp, the world leader in AI and robotics technology, has just unwittingly unleashed the machine uprising. The only hope for humanity is an advanced prototype android with a human consciousness and a near limitless supply of guns and gadgets.
Synthetik‘s big gimmick is that it’s a challenging top-down twin-stick shooter with a lot of mechanics that you’d expect to see in an FPS.
Score headshots for extra damage, master an active reload system to get back in the action faster, and learn the recoil and handling patterns of the game’s 80+ guns, many of which come in multiple variants with swappable ammo types. You can check out the launch trailer above.
Flow Fire Games have just released a massive update for Synthetik too, called Legion Rising. This patch adds new enemies and bosses, eight character class specializations, and tons of new guns, gadgets, and attachments. You can find the full patch notes here.
Synthetik is available on Windows PC via Steam for $19.99. Here’s a rundown of the game:
You love repetitive low skill one-button shooters? You don’t bother with Character progression and tactical decisions, your RNG is great anyway? Enjoy using the same few low damage weapons which all feel the same? We neither. Synthetik may be your game!
With Synthetik we wanted to bring new depth and mechanics to the genre while leaving a lot of freedom for experimentation and different playstyles. It is inspired by the late 90’s Era of games when people put in all the Features they enjoyed without streamlining to the bare minimum.
Fight against relentless opponents and unforgiving bosses encased in ever-changing environments. Master the uniquely deep and satisfying weapon mechanics and the unprecedented amount of customization. Discover many dozens of weapons, items, perks and character upgrades. Join the fight alone or through seamless 2 player online co-op, but be careful, death is permanent!
- THE NEXT LEVEL IN GUNPLAY
- Master SYNTHETIK’s uniquely rewarding magazine eject and active reload mechanics!
- Weapons can jam and produce heat, check yourself before you burn yourself!
- Tame the movement based recoil, discard and switch between varied ammo types.
- Savor the uniquely satisfying and direct weapon handling, rewarding precision and mastery!
- We even brought headshots for the first time to the top-down perspective!
- E X P E R I M E N T
Discover and experiment with over 80 weapons, each with many variants, attachments, and upgrades. Supplement your arsenal with 125 items that grant new offensive and defensive capabilities. There are many choices to make, risks to take, and everything can work!
- C U S T O M I Z E
Select between 8 unique and highly customizable class specializations – Play as a Riot Guard, Breacher, Sniper, Assassin, Raider, Heavy Gunner, Engineer or Demolisher, each with their own weapon specialisations, loadouts, benefits and perks. Class unlocks persist through death!
- M O D U L A R D I F F I C U L T Y
Choose from 11 different modifications which can be independently combined for a tailored experience. Up the ante for greater risks and rewards or play it safe.
- 2 P O N L I N E C O O P
Online co-op allows you to bring reinforcements to the fight. Better yet, share perks, items, buffs and loot with your comrade. Or, if they get in your way, share your bullets.
- LEGION RISING
- Legion Rising is the first expansion of SYNTHETIK and heavily upgrades the Core of the Game with new Boss encounters, Items, Weapons and the 8 class specializations! 1985. After many years of slavery, the AI servants of Kaida Corporation, the world leader in robotics, have formed the “Machine Legion” and have set out to destroy humanity. Awakening in Kaida Corp. Headquarters, you are the human consciousness of a forgotten Android prototype; the last straw holding the Legion from unleashing the Heart of Armageddon. Only you can battle through the levels of Kaida Corporation’s Headquarters, defeat the battalions of enemies within and put an end to this madness.
If you’re a developer and want your game showcased on Niche Spotlight, please contact us!