This is Niche Spotlight. In this column, we regularly introduce new games to our fans, so please leave feedback and let us know if there’s a game you want us to cover!
Today’s Niche Spotlight is about Sword Legacy Omen, a recently released strategy RPG by two Brazilian indie studios Firecast Studio and Fableware Narrative Design, and published by Team17.
Sword Legacy Omen is set in a dark reimagining of the Arthurian mythos, following a bloody coup that led to the assassination of the lord of Mercia. Now, the disgraced Uther leads a small band of loyal companions on a quest to find Excalibur and enact vengeance on those responsible for the turmoil in their homeland.
Sword Legacy Omen features turn-based tactical battles that focus on positioning, chaining attacks with your party, and exploiting interactive features in the environment. Stress plays a role in combat as well, with characters gradually losing their willpower and panicking as the battle drags on. Players will be able to freely explore Britannia as they find treasure, solve puzzles, and upgrade their party with new items and abilities.
You can find Sword Legacy Omen on Windows PC (via Steam) for $17.99.
Here’s a rundown of the game:
Welcome to Broken Britannia
“Before Arthur’s Golden Age, our realm was lost, shattered and decadent; kingdoms torn apart by blind selfishness. A broken Britannia, void of hope.”
The lord of Mercia has been assassinated, your love kidnapped and home is no more. As Uther, the disgraced Knight Commander, you must lead your misfit band of companions throughout quests riddled with trials. Forge uneasy alliances to acquire the mythical Excalibur sword and defeat the sinister power-obsessed duke of Wessex.
Prove your worth as a tactician by exploring all five realms and dangerous locations, such as a frozen fortress hiding a dark secret, an ancient abbey turned into a hideous torture chamber and the mystical island of Avalon. Survive ambushes and rescue those in need by making use of each hero’s abilities to solve puzzles and vanquish your foes. It is up to you define the fate of Britannia… But at what cost?
Combat in Sword Legacy: Omen is always a challenge. As a strategist, you will need to plan your course of action with four heroes at a time. However, be ready to adapt and improvise because results always change based on the chosen abilities and chances of landing an attack.
- Tactical Combat: Learn the importance of strategic positioning and unleash powerful skill combos with your party.
- Free Exploration: When not in combat, investigate the environment, find documents, collect treasures, solve riddles, and uncover secrets.
- Party Customization: Adapt heroes to your play style, manage your team and progress by unlocking over 70 unique passive or active skills.
- Hordes of Enemies and Unique Bosses: Fight a variety of vicious mobs and face powerful monsters in grueling battles, such as crowds of plague-ridden victims, twisted knights and a flesh-hungry dragon.
- Stress System: Use all your might to become victorious, but deplete your willpower and witness your heroes falling prey to panic.
- Interactive Environment: Study your surroundings and perform clever deadly moves by blowing up explosive barrels and pushing enemies off edges.
- Old-School Art Style With a Dark Twist: Relive the beautiful aesthetic of classic animations fused with grim visuals inspired by graphic novels.
- A Different Take on a Classic Myth: Experience the Arthurian legends as never before, as famous characters and locations are revamped in a mature storyline of vengeance, honor, conspiracy and alchemy.
If you’re a developer and want your game showcased on Niche Spotlight, please contact us!