Square Enix Changed Up Cloud’s Design in the Final Fantasy VII Remake

Square Enix has revealed (via Games Jouhou) a few tidbits for their upcoming Final Fantasy VII remake during an ongoing 30th anniversary event.

New screenshots showing off a new design for protagonist Cloud were shown off by development lead Naoki Hamaguchi and staff, with his design reportedly being close enough to his original design that game director and original character designer Tetsuya Nomura finally gave it the okay.

The news came via a talk show was held at the exhibition, which is running till February 28th, where Square Enix debut four new in-development screenshots for the game. As the game is still in development, Square unfortunately refused to share them outside the users who saw them at the gathering. Reportedly, they won’t show off the screenshots until much later.

Of the four screenshots, four characters were shown: Cloud, Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie. Reports note that Cloud looked young and seemingly immature, despite being handsome – while Wedge was naturally chubby and Biggs was handsome. Jessie was described as just being cute.

Furthermore, reports note the screenshots confirm everything is being redone since the previous trailer for the game – which got released way back in 2015.

Final Fantasy VII remake is currently in development for PlayStation 4.

1. RetroGamer
    RetroGamer
    February 7, 2018 at 3:00 pm

Now they just need to show a picture or two of Tifa.

2. Brad Donald
    Brad Donald
    February 7, 2018 at 3:04 pm

Im suspecting potential disaster.

3. Re Carciofo
    Re Carciofo
    February 7, 2018 at 3:08 pm

Not enough Zips?

4. Some furf
    Some furf
    February 7, 2018 at 3:31 pm

Never mind Cloud, show me the enemies. Is there a triceratops tank? Is there a little bug with super long legs riding a motorcycle?

5. SuperiorBeing
    SuperiorBeing
    February 7, 2018 at 3:39 pm

anyone else get that scared looming feeling of worry every time they make a ff7 remake announcement? i feel like every announcement is bad news LOL

6. Brad Donald
    Brad Donald
    February 7, 2018 at 3:52 pm

makes me worried that we have not already seen her. Makes me think they are messing with her design like they did for the movie and give her a boob reduction.

7. Lionhart16
    Lionhart16
    February 7, 2018 at 3:54 pm

Paranoia, anxiety, and expectation all at once is one helluva drug. ;)

8. bgrunge
    bgrunge
    February 7, 2018 at 4:27 pm

They already fucked up Barrett unless they redid him into his proper gargantuan size.

9. Maintenance Renegade
    Maintenance Renegade
    February 7, 2018 at 4:54 pm

He looked like a lego man with a mangled zapdos on his head on the PS1 and now he looks like a meth addicted twink of the PS4. Lateral move I guess.

10. PaRaLLaXTHeTiCS
    PaRaLLaXTHeTiCS
    February 7, 2018 at 5:03 pm

Nah. I already made up my mind. It’s going to be bad.

11. nanka
    nanka
    February 7, 2018 at 5:21 pm

Can I get to see a remake image of Cloud where he doesn’t look depressed? Since his character wasn’t depressed in the original. Oh I can’t? I’m not really surprised.

12. Uncle Ocelot
    Uncle Ocelot
    February 7, 2018 at 5:23 pm

Or a man eating house?

13. Nope Naw
    Nope Naw
    February 7, 2018 at 5:59 pm

I know, right? In the original game he was (for the most part) a cocky, somewhat arrogant, smart aleck. Not the emo edgelord that Squeenix’ marketing department turned him into later.

14. ZeldaFinalFantasyFan
    ZeldaFinalFantasyFan
    February 7, 2018 at 6:15 pm

Advent Children really fucked with Cloud’s character a lot when he was pretty much anything BUT that.

15. Phasmatis75
    Phasmatis75
    February 7, 2018 at 6:31 pm

Don’t need to be a psychic to see this train wreck coming.

16. Phasmatis75
    Phasmatis75
    February 7, 2018 at 6:32 pm

Was going to say this, you can’t get upset if you already accepted it’s garbage.

17. Phasmatis75
    Phasmatis75
    February 7, 2018 at 6:32 pm

Can we get him into a gym and off the soy?

18. porkbun
    porkbun
    February 7, 2018 at 6:47 pm

which one is gonna come out first? KH3 or this?

19. totenglocke
    totenglocke
    February 7, 2018 at 7:13 pm

I hope they fixed Cloud’s arms. They were scarily thin in the 2015 trailer.

20. 2501
    2501
    February 7, 2018 at 7:13 pm

What is going on with this game? They haven’t shown anything substantial in years. They haven’t shown the rest of the cast yet and i still don’t know how this “episodic” design is suppose to work, i have a feeling that exploration is going to be non-existent.

21. Ckarasu
    Ckarasu
    February 7, 2018 at 7:17 pm

Seems he’ll still be a bit goofy, since I believe they mention in s recent interview that he was kinda a dork.

22. Klarktastic
    Klarktastic
    February 7, 2018 at 7:28 pm

Its going to suck. Anybody that played ff13 and ff15 knows this is going to suck ass.

23. iswear12
    iswear12
    February 7, 2018 at 7:43 pm

He looks like a new resident evil character that was laughed off the drawing board

24. 井上 マイ
    井上 マイ
    February 7, 2018 at 7:45 pm

13, sure. 15 was and is loved by a great many people. Hell people are clamouring for the “Royal edition.” Sure it’s not what it should or could have been, but it’s fine for what it is. 13, (At least 1), is widely regarded as the worst Final Fantasy main-line game in recent memory.

25. ProtomanBlues
    ProtomanBlues
    February 7, 2018 at 7:52 pm

I came here to post this.

26. Gigaknight
    Gigaknight
    February 7, 2018 at 8:16 pm

Omitted due to “sexism”/”objectification”.

Along with Snow and Pollensalta. Jenova’s eyeball nipple stays, though.

27. 2501
    2501
    February 7, 2018 at 9:22 pm

I feel like XV is only seen as good because FF has finally kept up with the times. The whole game is like an apology for the crap that Motomu Toriyama put out.

28. Lea Pastillaroja
    Lea Pastillaroja
    February 7, 2018 at 9:23 pm

They’d better not remove Tifa’s tits like they did with Lara Croft

29. Forky
    Forky
    February 7, 2018 at 11:24 pm

They’re trying. Her boobs are still rendering.

30. Galvanized Dreamer
    Galvanized Dreamer
    February 7, 2018 at 11:24 pm

This dude is a mako-infused super-soldier, why the hell are his arms twigs?!

31. ane haugland
    ane haugland
    February 7, 2018 at 11:28 pm

This dude is a mako-infused super-soldier, why the hell are his arms twigs?!

32. Chiara Sanna
    Chiara Sanna
    February 8, 2018 at 12:04 am

33. RichardGristle
    RichardGristle
    February 8, 2018 at 12:31 am

I really hope they keep the aesthetic from that concept picture. Crack Den Cloud and Dopey Mexican Tranny Retard Wedge are just too fucking great lmao

34. RichardGristle
    RichardGristle
    February 8, 2018 at 12:33 am

Gonna be a while – they have to design her burqa from scratch.

35. RichardGristle
    RichardGristle
    February 8, 2018 at 12:35 am

You mean “anyone that’s played any Final Fantasy game since the merger”.

36. Ace
    Ace
    February 8, 2018 at 12:41 am

Don’t worry. They’ll have $20 DLC that allows you to revert Cloud to his original FF VII form.

37. Ace
    Ace
    February 8, 2018 at 12:42 am

You’re right. I beat those two games and they pretty much sucked. Ugh.

38. Ace
    Ace
    February 8, 2018 at 12:42 am

They’re making all the DLC stuff too so they can sell it for later. =0

39. Pocketmarmots
    Pocketmarmots
    February 8, 2018 at 1:31 am

I just know she’s gonna be as flat as the 2013 Lara Croft.

40. Bailarina Ninja masoquista
    Bailarina Ninja masoquista
    February 8, 2018 at 2:41 am

he looking scrawny like something else somebody give this body something to eat.

41. Bailarina Ninja masoquista
    Bailarina Ninja masoquista
    February 8, 2018 at 2:43 am

probably they’ve been focusing on finshing all the FF15 DLC once and for all and Finishing Kingdom Hearts 3.

which if that’s the case, then it’s fine by me.

42. Stephen Gomez
    Stephen Gomez
    February 8, 2018 at 2:47 am

this game is going to be in development hell for the next ten years

43. Qwaserzero
    Qwaserzero
    February 8, 2018 at 3:35 am

The Tifa design change already sunk the ship, why stop now.

44. 井上 マイ
    井上 マイ
    February 8, 2018 at 4:23 am

I mean that’s just personal opinion and not really based in any facts whatsoever.

45. RPG
    RPG
    February 8, 2018 at 4:41 am

Fuck, I am so nervous for this game.

Is anyone else getting the feeling that this game may end up coming to the next generation of hardware? A la FFXV?

Real talk though….

When do we get to see Tifa?

46. machariel00
    machariel00
    February 8, 2018 at 7:45 am

Just remember you always have the original game.

47. Feniks
    Feniks
    February 8, 2018 at 8:12 am

This game did not age well.

FF7 is an example of what I call the “Evangelion effect”. Just like the only anime people know about is Eva, FF7 is the only 90s JRPG that remains in the gaming collective consciousness.

But then again: how much would Xenogears be ruined with a remake? So its for the best really.

48. Anon630
    Anon630
    February 8, 2018 at 9:42 am

Haven’t they announced early on that they’re avoiding the monsters that lack a sense of “realism”?

49. Callsign_Prof
    Callsign_Prof
    February 8, 2018 at 10:00 am

Hope anyone ready for that.

50. Callsign_Prof
    Callsign_Prof
    February 8, 2018 at 10:02 am

Please don’t make it small.

51. NukeA6
    NukeA6
    February 8, 2018 at 10:30 am

He’s starting to look less manly than Lightning.

52. ProxyDoug
    ProxyDoug
    February 8, 2018 at 10:33 am

I guess they are trying to make him more convincing when they dress him as a girl.

53. totenglocke
    totenglocke
    February 8, 2018 at 10:46 am

I’m not nervous, I’m sure it’ll be shit. I got nervous when they announced it’ll be released in three full priced parts, but I knew it would be shit when they announced that they got rid of the turn based combat for “mash X repeatedly”.

54. totenglocke
    totenglocke
    February 8, 2018 at 10:55 am

The Playstation 5.

55. Arenegeth
    Arenegeth
    February 8, 2018 at 10:58 am

The gameplay aged just fine, the battle system and depth of content is as good as any modern turned based RPG (though I’m not sure if that’s a testament to FFVII or how much those games haven’t changed since).

The story though far from perfect and suffering a sub-optimal translation in the west, is still better than most anime-trope ridden crap we get from JRPG’s these days.

The graphics, and particularly the 3D models haven’t aged well as it would be expected from an early 3D game that started its development on the Super Nintendo.

But lets not pretend that games from that era are any less playable today, because suddenly a higher resolution and more detailed polygonal models have changed anything when it comes to the meat of the gameplay that mostly remains the same.

Which is why a lot of us hoped for a straight update of the game, than this three-part nightmare we’re about to get.

56. RPG
    RPG
    February 8, 2018 at 11:08 am

Yeah, I can understand that. I feel that way too, in some regard. I am just trying to keep a little bit of hope alive for this, and try and not be overly cynical about it. After all, it is a remake of one of my favorite games of all time, and I do WANT it to succeed, and do it justice.

57. totenglocke
    totenglocke
    February 8, 2018 at 11:11 am

I just can’t believe that they are finding this difficult. Literally all people want is the original game with modern graphics.

58. RPG
    RPG
    February 8, 2018 at 11:31 am

Yeeeeeeeah… That probably would have been along the lines of what I would have preferred to be the case with the remake. As I have said before, I would have liked if the developers used REmake (often regarded as a shining example of how to execute a remake well) as a basis on how to approach the design of the game. Take the original work, give it a nice fresh coat of paint, update the mechanics and iron out any kinks, while still maintaining the same style and feel of the source material. If they had gone with this route, it would have been an instant hit, and copies would fly off the shelves.
    However, there is a counterargument that many say that it would not be worth it to just redo the same game with prettier graphics, as we still have the original, and it will not go away, and we could have the chance to “update” the game with “modern” mechanics and sensibilities, and re-imagine it in a different yet familiar way. I suppose there is some merit to that claim. However, I would be more inclined to still have the game be turn-based like in its original form, etc. If the remake could at least somehow perhaps strike a balance between the ATB system, and the modern ARPG system, a la FFXV, and somehow make it work to appeal to both demographics, then I could be on board with that; if it is executed well. I don’t know.
    At the very least, we will still have the original PS1 game, and the remastered Steam/PS4 version(s), if the game succeeds or fails :).

59. RPG
    RPG
    February 8, 2018 at 11:36 am

I am seriously losing hope that this game is going to come out in this generation. I would not be surprised if this just fades into the ether, and we do not hear anything substantial about it again until PS5, or whatever the fuck Sony is going to do next, is on the market; a la FFXV.

60. totenglocke
    totenglocke
    February 8, 2018 at 12:09 pm

I don’t expect this or Last of Us 2 to release this generation.

61. Snorlaxation
    Snorlaxation
    February 8, 2018 at 12:30 pm

Didn’t know that had already been revealed

62. Snorlaxation
    Snorlaxation
    February 8, 2018 at 12:32 pm

All they need to do is switch out that stupid skirt for some booty shorts and she’s all good.

63. Snorlaxation
    Snorlaxation
    February 8, 2018 at 12:33 pm

I don’t see how. Say what you will about the plot, but the characters were so bland and unoffensive that they bored me to tears.

64. Snorlaxation
    Snorlaxation
    February 8, 2018 at 12:34 pm

he really did look like a drug addict, but then again, I was starting to get used to him considering all the crap he was actually going through at that period of the story.

65. Snorlaxation
    Snorlaxation
    February 8, 2018 at 12:34 pm

so nothing’s really changed then.

66. MusouTensei
    MusouTensei
    February 8, 2018 at 12:54 pm

I feel like people in the comments misunderstand some things.
    1st: The pic above is older and doesn’t shows Could’s new design
    2nd: This is about bringing Cloud’s design closer to what he looked like in the original game, this is good.

67. SLoWMoTIoN?
    SLoWMoTIoN?
    February 8, 2018 at 1:42 pm

Is he still Fujobait? Cause who cares. I bet Tifa is gonna get the Lara treatment and be flat af.

68. anna
    anna
    February 8, 2018 at 1:48 pm

69. Travis Touchdown
    Travis Touchdown
    February 8, 2018 at 2:12 pm

Breaking news: Square Enix fucks something up.

More news at eleven.

70. Travis Touchdown
    Travis Touchdown
    February 8, 2018 at 2:13 pm

You mean “Anyone that played any Final Fantasy after VIII.”

71. RPG
    RPG
    February 8, 2018 at 2:39 pm

The Last of Us 2 may at least have a release window akin to its predecessor; coming out at the leg-end of the respective console’s lifespan. However, it is all up in the air at this point.

72. RetroGamer
    RetroGamer
    February 8, 2018 at 2:41 pm

That cannot be unseen. o_0

73. RichardGristle
    RichardGristle
    February 8, 2018 at 5:34 pm

Negative. IX is the best post-SNES Final Fantasy. VII and VIII are trash.

74. Klarktastic
    Klarktastic
    February 8, 2018 at 6:40 pm

FF10 is ok. Not as good as what came before, but way better than anything that came after imo. 12 is so MEH not really TERRIBLE tho. I can see how some people would like it. Funny enough, I think ff14 might be the best ff since IX witch I didn’t expect since its an mmo.

75. GameZard
    GameZard
    February 8, 2018 at 7:08 pm

They are going to ruin Tifa’s design. I just know it.

76. CrimsonX4
    CrimsonX4
    February 8, 2018 at 11:00 pm

Crossing my fingers and hoping your right. SE has lost a lot of faith from fans but I’m gladly giving them a chance… at least with the first episode

77. PaRaLLaXTHeTiCS
    PaRaLLaXTHeTiCS
    February 9, 2018 at 4:22 am

I don’t known anyone under 30 who knows NGE. That includes some passive anime fans.
    Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon on the other hand. …

78. Kitsune
    Kitsune
    February 9, 2018 at 5:40 am

I can’t believe you have worse taste than Travis.

79. 2501
    2501
    February 9, 2018 at 8:28 am

The plot in the original game hasn’t aged well. It could be that one of the reasons why this remake is taking so long is because Square are trying their hardest to make Cloud and co not look like a bunch of Terrorists, because that’s what Avalanche are – eco-terrorists .

80. ZeldaFinalFantasyFan
    ZeldaFinalFantasyFan
    February 9, 2018 at 9:25 am

mfw I’m the only one who loves FF 12 :/

81. Victor
    Victor
    February 10, 2018 at 7:47 pm

Looks like a 40 yr old lesbian biker now. Squeenix really needs to lay off their twink-obsessed character designers and hire some people that know how to make a man look like a man.

82. Lea Pastillaroja
    Lea Pastillaroja
    February 10, 2018 at 9:49 pm

hmmmm booty shorts or panty shots whenever she higk kicks…
    what a dificult choice

83. Gigaknight
    Gigaknight
    February 11, 2018 at 4:30 pm

Disagree. That skirt was just fine.

Seen enough real women in shorts that look like diapers to make my opposition adamant, anyway.

84. Snorlaxation
    Snorlaxation
    February 12, 2018 at 10:58 am

Really? Did they show any of that in the old game? Cuz the way things are going I doubt they’d even attempt it. I’d rather boot shorts than nothing worth mentioning.

85. Snorlaxation
    Snorlaxation
    February 12, 2018 at 10:58 am

That type of skirt was lame. Maybe if the made it more Chie-like, instead of some thing that would slip up every single time she did a kick (not that they’d show that) then it would work. But that aspect of her outfit always annoyed me.

86. Albel Nox
    Albel Nox
    February 12, 2018 at 10:00 pm

what kind of remake of cloud’s figure are we talking about here ?

87. Jack Thompson
    Jack Thompson
    February 13, 2018 at 9:29 am

Source

88. Jack Thompson
    Jack Thompson
    February 13, 2018 at 9:35 am

>Design for Cloud reportedly closer to the original than in previous trailer
    Sounds like relatively good news.