Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana Launches for PC on January 30 Alongside Updated Localization

NIS America has announced the PC release date for Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana.

The Falcom-developed RPG will launch for PC via Steam on January 30th – alongside the game’s completely revised script localization, re-recorded audio, and adjustments to graphical text on the PlayStation 4 and PS Vita versions.

Featured above as well as below, you can view some new examples of the game’s new script via in-game dialogue:

If you’re buying the game on PC, you’ll have access to the following content entirely free until February 6th:

• Adol’s Adventure Essentials DLC – Includes Adol’s Silver Armor, Adol’s Adventurer Clothes, and Adol’s Survival Kit
  • Digital Mini Art Book – Includes a 32-page full-color art book
  • Digital Soundtrack Sampler – Includes 5 tracks
  • Laxia’s “Eternian Scholar” Costume

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana is currently available for PlayStation 4 and PS Vita. In case you missed it, you can find our review for the game here (we recommend it but note the translation needs work).

1. chaoguy
    chaoguy
    January 10, 2018 at 6:00 pm

I hope it does well, if only to show good localization (i.e. translation) will get you money. Bad localization (i.e. dumbing down for mass appeal and censorship) will get you an angry mob.

2. Person Man
    Person Man
    January 10, 2018 at 6:07 pm

I honestly do hope NISA will put themselves at a higher standard in the future, while also hoping that Falcom will choose another localization company to handle their work. XSEED was the perfect company for them, who truly loves their games.

3. Eldhin Shichiou
    Eldhin Shichiou
    January 10, 2018 at 6:19 pm

Meh. I’m going to avoid it until opinions confirm that they actually did a good job this time.
    Also, considering the delay, those DLC should be free forever

4. Uncle Ocelot
    Uncle Ocelot
    January 10, 2018 at 7:11 pm

It’s a wait and see, but I hope they actually fixed it.

5. RPG
    RPG
    January 10, 2018 at 7:27 pm

Great. I will wait and see what public perception of the new translation is, and then I most likely pick it up at some point to support the Ys series.

6. GameZard
    GameZard
    January 10, 2018 at 7:29 pm

Let’s see if all that time working on the PC version paided off.

7. CRES
    CRES
    January 10, 2018 at 7:32 pm

I’m not sure how much good this will do NIS. The damage has already been done with their consumers now “Once bitten, Twice Shy.” Hopefully this will adjust NIS America’s attitude towards their localization processes and encourage Falcom to continue it’s partnership with XSEED instead.

8. SLoWMoTIoN
    SLoWMoTIoN
    January 10, 2018 at 7:35 pm

Good I can finish it then. Underrated game with a decent story line.

9. BFG
    BFG
    January 10, 2018 at 7:54 pm

My golden rule is to never trust localizations, since I made another discovery today in regards of XSeed/PQube for EDF2 Portable. Turned out the western version was never updated unlike the japanese version, which ended up with separating the online into two parts: Dead in the west and japs still playing it regularly (but you cant join them since they’re on 1.01).

The kind of thing nobody would have known until pointed out or experienced themselves

10. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    January 10, 2018 at 8:35 pm

Right. We can’t trust them to detail every edited line, removed or missing cheats/updates and both of those things technically don’t make the localised product “censored” by the definition that publishers like XSeed/PQube use or general use for video games so they get a pass.

How did you find out about that EDF2 Portable thing?

11. Dom Fass
    Dom Fass
    January 10, 2018 at 9:24 pm

Switch port when?

12. BFG
    BFG
    January 10, 2018 at 9:58 pm

I originally owned the european version in the first place, but found weird the online was completely dead despite many check attempts, while i could (and still can) play online with japs on my japanese copy of EDF3 Portable. So I decided it was worth a try by importing a jap copy of EDF2 Portable, and found out the thing once I received it and tested.

The trophy list got a liberal translation too (The titles were more “tame” in the jap list, with [Enemy] Killer/Hunter & [Class] Armored/Master, while the western list decided to get memey).

A similar experience I can also vouch is that I played Ryu ga Gotoku 0 in japanese, but saw much later a stream of the localized version. Turns out the translation is quite wonky from the parts I saw (such as simple insults, threats being toned down in the subs, like しね as “its over!”). I can accept translation issues towards fan-translations since fantranslators did and give it for free, but this is a different story when it’s professional work and money get involved.

13. InkViper
    InkViper
    January 10, 2018 at 10:09 pm

Good, I think there starting to understand their audience, it’s a good first sign, hope other companies are watching and follow suit in this more proconsumer direction.

14. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    January 10, 2018 at 10:54 pm

I heard of Ryu ga Gotoku 0 vs Yakuza 0 quite a bit (the memey and weird modern dialogue, not the near TV anime dub nerf to “It’s Over”), but it sucks how poorly documented this stuff is and I can’t blame the people who find it much when they are mostly random dudes like us.

I barely care about trophies but there isn’t really a good reason for them to make them more goofy either even if that’s a part where it doesn’t change the game experience (unless prompts are on).

I resonate a lot on the paid/free fan translation stuff. I might be miffed about a poor translation of some game or manga chapter but at least I probably didn’t even click an ad of theirs or take physical stock into my ownership. It is worse when people project mountains of value onto an official release leading to it becoming a new “canon” of sorts.

I wouldn’t be surprised if one of the later Yakuza localisations took notes from Zero’s just because they got in the habit. Dragon Ball’s anime, game and manga localisations still hold onto censorship (visual not just “Mr Satan vs Hercule) and other bad trends from decades ago.

15. No_Good_Names_Ever
    No_Good_Names_Ever
    January 10, 2018 at 11:08 pm

“The damage has already been done with their consumers now “Once bitten, Twice Shy.””
    I think you mean Falcom; NIS fans take it in the ass with a smile on their face asking for more.

16. EroBotan
    EroBotan
    January 11, 2018 at 12:30 am

considering the abandoned island setting, are there swimsuit costumes in the game?

17. porkbun
    porkbun
    January 11, 2018 at 1:52 am

18. porkbun
    porkbun
    January 11, 2018 at 1:52 am

When falcom games start to sell on Nintendo platforms

19. EroBotan
    EroBotan
    January 11, 2018 at 2:19 am

ooh nice, thanks for the info!

20. 2501
    2501
    January 11, 2018 at 5:22 am

Falcom should’ve known better than to ditch XSEED for Ys’s localization. I hope Falcom have realized just how incompetent NIS are.

21. Sean Sharpe
    Sean Sharpe
    January 11, 2018 at 5:35 am

In the case of things like DBZ, it’s largely because of the Western fan base… While purists might want the original product most of the people I know who eat, shit, and breath Dragon Ball in the West are pretty much dub only. While it might piss off the purist, he doesn’t nessicslly pay the bills.

Likewise, while some people love to shit on NISA, they have a fanbase… And while I cringed when they announced they were doing Ys, I might be somewhat interested if they were doing some hypothetical new Lunar game since I felt the original games were basically the JRPG versions of the Ghost Stories dub… Something that’s great and wonderful only because changes and the original was otherwise dreadfully generic and boring.

22. Khirt
    Khirt
    January 11, 2018 at 6:23 am

Maybe they could stick with NISA and force them to do better localizations? One can hope.

23. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    January 11, 2018 at 9:25 am

You need to be a bit more specific, but it probably helps if I lead off.

“Anime” – We actually made a ton of progress whether it is using the original OST, having “Son Goku” in the script or even some occasional use of Japanese names for moves (I’d rather do either or but yeah). If there are “dub” purists of any stripe, Ocean fans only got to appreciate Drummond’s great performance as Copy Vegeta and older FUNimation fans probably stopped liking FUNi’s current take around the time that Kai started or earlier.

I still have an issue with how the original DB series, GT and related movies won’t get fixed any time soon. There is at least a chance plus the option to listen to alternative takes on the same purchase (assuming we aren’t talking VHS).

“Manga” – We still have English manga volumes which have censored cover pages, removed middle fingers and less depicted nudity. I’m not even mentioning Vegirot and other things which were the result of a severe lack of foresight.

“Game” – I don’t think that having swords replaced in Dragon Ball Fusions was something that a western dub viewer would want or expect.

In short, I don’t see a link between paying bills and edits/dubisms in general. I guess Viz saves money by making terrible reprints which are more censored than their first translations of the series. I think we should get an uncut release before the original creators all die though or that’s just me.

—-

My stance on the Ghost Stories angle is that it should be saved for abridged series or a bonus. A little bit of spice doesn’t hurt a dub voice over, but if it is barely going to be the same show outside of reusing animation, why take the license?

24. Lezard Valeth
    Lezard Valeth
    January 11, 2018 at 10:00 am

Honestly that was the only glaring flaw of the game, the translation,
    ( Still it wasn’t unplayable or incomprehensible either, i’ve seen worse)
    Everything else is truly great, gameplay,music, story and characters. such an underrated game, deserve more love.

25. Bailarina Ninja masoquista
    Bailarina Ninja masoquista
    January 11, 2018 at 10:25 am

SWITCH PORT ANNOUNCED NOW MAH BOIS!

26. JohnnyCageFan2
    JohnnyCageFan2
    January 11, 2018 at 10:36 am

Speaking of liberal translations, feast your eyes on the comparison of Ikkitōsen and the commercial Battle Vixens (it you don’t know): https://i.imgur.com/cSLWCIs.png

27. JohnnyCageFan2
    JohnnyCageFan2
    January 11, 2018 at 10:44 am

Was going to reply with, “Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me a third time, I deserve to be fooled.”

Saying NISA fans taking it up the ass with a smile is leaps and bounds superior.

28. playmystation
    playmystation
    January 11, 2018 at 11:58 am

Hey, do you mind not using the word “japs” in reference to Japanese people? Since you appreciate the content coming from the country, I’m assuming you’re not intentionally using a racial slur, but I figured I’d say something because if you said in front of an English speaking Japanese person, you’d probably get into an unnecessary fight.

29. BFG
    BFG
    January 11, 2018 at 12:11 pm

whatever

30. playmystation
    playmystation
    January 11, 2018 at 12:19 pm

yeah exactly the attitude I was assuming. Stay ignorant and cool I guess.

31. iswear12
    iswear12
    January 11, 2018 at 6:00 pm

The hell is wrong with you?
    Fuck NISA, they had a million chances with a million games and they screwed them all up
    Meanwhile XSEED’s reputation remains all but sterling for a localization company compared to every other in the current video game climate, save a few small hiccups (“rub a dub dub thanks for the grub”)

32. Khirt
    Khirt
    January 12, 2018 at 6:46 am

You cant expect XSEED to do every single localization, also if NISA did improve on their localization quality and still you would refuse to buy their games, then there is absolutely no purpose to your complaints. Altough its probably not gonna happen.

33. iswear12
    iswear12
    January 12, 2018 at 5:01 pm

They have done near-every localization for Falcom up until this point, your point about that is near nonexistent. Meanwhile one of the only games NISA has localized for Falcom was so bad that they were forced to apologize and falcom fans organized a mailing campaign to them directly. The PC port literally was delayed for almost a year.
    NISA has fucked up so colossally over so many instances that they would need to do an equal level of good localizations for the same period of time (read: a decade) for me to trust them.
    The purpose for my complaints is that NISA should not have gotten it in the first place.

34. mew
    mew
    January 12, 2018 at 10:47 pm

The purpose of your complain is you’re a dumb fanboy.

35. iswear12
    iswear12
    January 13, 2018 at 1:39 am

Salty shill detected ;D
    Your english skills match that of NISA’s

36. mew
    mew
    January 13, 2018 at 6:55 am

Salty cuck detected :^)
    Your stupidity matches the most idiots XSEED fanboys. Can’t wait for NISA to get Cold Steel 3, so I can see you bitch about it while I laugh.

37. iswear12
    iswear12
    January 13, 2018 at 11:24 am

>Your stupidity matches the most idiots XSEED fanboys.
    Did NISA outsource their shilling to India and the Middle East? Goddamn you’re pitiful

38. mew
    mew
    January 13, 2018 at 11:45 am

Mate, you’re just a angry retard. Deal with it and just pirate the game instead of bitching like the manchild you are.

39. iswear12
    iswear12
    January 13, 2018 at 3:30 pm

2 rupees have been deposited into your account

40. mew
    mew
    January 13, 2018 at 4:06 pm

Man I can’t wait to see you cry over NISA getting CS3 :^)
    I seriously hope they do get it. Just to have idiots like you butthurt like a SJW.

41. iswear12
    iswear12
    January 13, 2018 at 4:26 pm

>he’s still going
    Goddamn, maybe you get paid the *really* big bucks to keep this up for this long.
    How much you get per post? 10 rupees? Is that enough for your basic toiletries?

42. mew
    mew
    January 13, 2018 at 4:40 pm

I find it funny you /pol/fag think I’m being paid telling you off on being a dumb turd :)

43. iswear12
    iswear12
    January 13, 2018 at 6:30 pm

>he still can’t into grammar and english while defending NISA of all companies
    wew

44. iswear12
    iswear12
    January 13, 2018 at 8:53 pm

>ignorant
    It sounds like you need to relax man; this is the internet. Most people who aren’t brain dead can realize you can’t get away with saying most of the shit you can online, and the ones that don’t… well they’ll just have to be good at fighting or running away. Not your job to worry about ’em or mommy ’em. We’re all adults here (and the ones that aren’t will learn real quickly how different things are in the real world).
    Its nice to be able to just speak your mind freely and say whatever you please in regular conversation here. Doesn’t mean the dude has anything against the japanese people (very unlikely, but its possible), for all you know he might be japanese himself (unlikely, but its possible). Even if he did, lecturing him about it on the internet would do little to change him.

45. mew
    mew
    January 14, 2018 at 4:47 am

>XSEEDcuck think his opinion has any value
    Can’t wait for your shit company to go bankrupt :^)

46. playmystation
    playmystation
    January 14, 2018 at 7:06 pm

well, my point was the fact that he uses the word “japs” very casually without knowing the impact, or dismissing the negative reaction to the word as something not worth respecting. Figured I’d at least point out that it’s a racial slur in case he didn’t know. His reaction, however, confirmed that he doesn’t care about the underlying meaning or impact that word has. That’s my idea of ignorance. I myself am a Japanese American (Born in Japan, raised in the US) and I have been called a “jap” as a racial slur against me multiple times growing up in the US. I feel the way he uses the word is equal to people using the phrase “Ni*ga please”. It’s not the same as calling a black person a “ni*ger,” but if I was black and someone used the phrase “Nig*a please” in front of me, I don’t think anybody would fault me for punching that guy in the face. If the same phrase was used on the internet, and I decided to get mad or call the guy out for it, I’m pretty sure there would be plenty of enlightened people out there that would jump to criticizing this dude with me. For some reason though, that’s not the case for the word “jap.” I dunno man…I’m not trying to argue with you, and I agree with you on your views of how people can be on the internet, but I just don’t think it’s right is all. But to each their own. I tried to be respectful, I got dismissed, and I’m just reciprocating with the same attitude. I’m super relaxed. Just kind of sad.

47. iswear12
    iswear12
    January 14, 2018 at 11:22 pm

Fair enough man.
    Can’t afford to get sad over this though, ya gotta remember explicitly that the internet is a different place. Its so utterly different from real life, so much so that the “fighting words” limitation of the 1st amendment actually does not apply to it.
    Can’t afford to get sad over this shit or else you’ll be sad all the time. Not saying your feelings are wrong mind you. Some words are especially charged for people, others more so. Good on you for speaking your mind though. If you feel its right, go on ahead and keep doing what you’re doing. He might not have listened but someone else might.
    Baaasically I don’t know what to tell ya, haha.
    In terms of the word “jap” you’re not wrong. It gets treated with a lot less weight than other slurs. Its kind of an odd one.

48. playmystation
    playmystation
    January 15, 2018 at 11:36 am

Nah you’re right. Sometimes it’s pointless to be depressed with how people are. But the good part is that by speaking up I get to hear opinions from people such as yourself. So at the end of the day, it’s all good. Thanks man.