Report: PC Version for Nioh Has No Mouse-Control Support

A new report is spelling bad news for mouse and keyboard enthusiasts on PC looking to get their hands on Koei Tecmo’s dark-fantasy action RPG, Nioh.

The report points to an pre-release livestream for the game (via DSOGaming) where they confirmed the game doesn’t support mouse movement – restricting you to just keyboard or a USB controller.

When asked to clarify the game’s mouse support, The Outerhaven Productions said: “There is no M+K. The game does not support the mouse at all. It’s either controller or keyboard. No mouse.”

We’ve reached out to Koei Tecmo for clarification on this and will update the article when/if we get a response.

Nioh is currently available for PlayStation 4, while it’s Complete Edition is launching for PC via Steam on November 7th. In case you missed it, you can find our thorough written and video review for the game here (we highly recommend it!).

1. Mechonis
    Mechonis
    November 3, 2017 at 11:20 am

Most people people use a controller so who cares. What people do care about it what this spells out for the port

2. The Clansman
    The Clansman
    November 3, 2017 at 11:20 am

I mean it wasn’t that difficult to implement and this will definitely hurt the sales as people on Steam will shit on them on the reviews.

3. buddyluv324
    buddyluv324
    November 3, 2017 at 11:32 am

Sadly it wont stop people from bombing the game with negative reviews on Steam.

4. goodbyejojo
    goodbyejojo
    November 3, 2017 at 11:35 am

not surprising, KT games on PC, almost never had it, apart from the nobunaga & ROTK games.

5. Annie T. Mood
    Annie T. Mood
    November 3, 2017 at 11:38 am

Thanks, KT.
    (Still getting it [when it’s on a big sale])

6. Madbrainbox
    Madbrainbox
    November 3, 2017 at 11:43 am

Yeah.Like 15 bucks.

7. Madbrainbox
    Madbrainbox
    November 3, 2017 at 11:43 am

I care.I only use my controller for racing or fighting games.

8. NoobSmoke
    NoobSmoke
    November 3, 2017 at 11:44 am

So use a controller.

This is a non issue,probably plays like shit on keyboard anyway

9. Amethyst Eclipse
    Amethyst Eclipse
    November 3, 2017 at 11:49 am

I’M FUCKING CUMMING!

10. Madbrainbox
    Madbrainbox
    November 3, 2017 at 11:51 am

No.I won’t use a controller.
    And it is an issue for people that are using Mouse+KB in these types of games.

11. uncle_alfred
    uncle_alfred
    November 3, 2017 at 11:56 am

I wouldn’t play it with KB+M anyway, but it doesn’t bode well when they are not even bothering with something so basic in a PC game.

12. BFG
    BFG
    November 3, 2017 at 11:59 am

The 100GB HDD installation requirement was already a huge turn off for me

13. Chocolate ISISCream
    Chocolate ISISCream
    November 3, 2017 at 12:12 pm

Sony always WINS BABY!

14. Adohleas
    Adohleas
    November 3, 2017 at 12:13 pm

This alone will probably cause mass negative review bombing.

15. Galvanized Dreamer
    Galvanized Dreamer
    November 3, 2017 at 12:22 pm

Oh, so this is that “koei usual shenanigans” I’ve heard about.

16. Madbrainbox
    Madbrainbox
    November 3, 2017 at 12:35 pm

No.Sony wins nothing from this.

17. Riosine
    Riosine
    November 3, 2017 at 12:36 pm

I thought Historical Samrurai were very good at sharpshooting with longbows. No wonder they are mostly portrayed as swodmaster with fancy nl looking katanas when locked with a controller

18. RichardGristle
    RichardGristle
    November 3, 2017 at 12:58 pm

Who the fuck would use a mouse for this genre?

19. Mea K
    Mea K
    November 3, 2017 at 1:05 pm

While I would not in a million years recommend anyone play this with mouse and keyboard I strongly believe it should be an option for those that want to try (even if they are lunatics).

20. Madbrainbox
    Madbrainbox
    November 3, 2017 at 1:06 pm

Who the fuck uses a controller for a shooter?

21. CombatMeido
    CombatMeido
    November 3, 2017 at 1:09 pm

The same retards which would play Nioh with a Mouse.

22. Uncle Ocelot
    Uncle Ocelot
    November 3, 2017 at 1:12 pm

I probably would’ve played with a gamepad anyway but that’s some bullshit for those who wanted to use a mouse.

23. DrearierSpider
    DrearierSpider
    November 3, 2017 at 1:22 pm

That was supposedly a placeholder value.

24. DrearierSpider
    DrearierSpider
    November 3, 2017 at 1:25 pm

Oh, poor Koei getting shitty reviews for a legitimate problem. As long as it doesn’t bother you personally, we should all just shut up and lick their asshole.

25. Madbrainbox
    Madbrainbox
    November 3, 2017 at 1:26 pm

No mate.It’s about preference.

26. chero666
    chero666
    November 3, 2017 at 1:48 pm

I wasn’t on playing it with a mouse, but I guess that’s disappointing to some purists.

27. buddyluv324
    buddyluv324
    November 3, 2017 at 1:53 pm

Honestly I’m more concern of how they handle the port performance wise. I couldnt care less with not using k+m since I have the option for either that or a controller. I guess when the game releases and see how it turns out, maybe you can warm that asshole up, eh? ^_^

28. Nagato
    Nagato
    November 3, 2017 at 2:24 pm

I do believe it said 80gb most recently.

Still not exactly great, however.

29. Chili
    Chili
    November 3, 2017 at 3:48 pm

but you use a controller on PS4 anyways

30. Alex Drake
    Alex Drake
    November 3, 2017 at 4:21 pm

So now to wait for Durante to fix this mess

31. Immahnoob
    Immahnoob
    November 3, 2017 at 4:34 pm

>Not playing with a KB+M on PC on a Souls like game
    Trash.

32. Immahnoob
    Immahnoob
    November 3, 2017 at 4:35 pm

KB+M > Controller for thee types of games.
    Prove me wrong, nigger.

33. LEGIONARY1234
    LEGIONARY1234
    November 3, 2017 at 5:25 pm

Is losing a timed exclusive Faggot!!

34. Malcolm_Ecks
    Malcolm_Ecks
    November 3, 2017 at 5:45 pm

Fine. I’m down. I’m getting sick of PC gamers who praise the versatility of the PC but refuse to pull their heads out of their asses and get a damn controller.

35. JohnnyCageFan2
    JohnnyCageFan2
    November 3, 2017 at 6:05 pm

In this instance, do you say they win ’cause they have a polished game originally built for their system, whereas PC is probably going to have a cobbled-together (e.g. community-made M+KB mod), poorly-optimized mess of one?

36. JohnnyCageFan2
    JohnnyCageFan2
    November 3, 2017 at 6:13 pm

All they need to do is prevent users with a connected mouse from posting a review. That solves the problem, eh?

37. GameZard
    GameZard
    November 3, 2017 at 6:40 pm

Well sorry we all can’t be like you console slaves as we PC gamers like having options and freedom.

38. Malcolm_Ecks
    Malcolm_Ecks
    November 3, 2017 at 6:54 pm

I’m a PC gamer dum dum. Try again.

39. Jack Thompson
    Jack Thompson
    November 3, 2017 at 7:08 pm

Top johj

40. GameZard
    GameZard
    November 3, 2017 at 11:20 pm

Post your PC specs and link to your steam account.

41. Riosine
    Riosine
    November 4, 2017 at 12:09 am

It’s cause you just don’t understand why some people hate controllers with a passion, beside being unoptimal to handle cameras,

Maybe you haven’t injuered yourself when using one intensively for an extended period of time?
    Controllers are very sneaky when inflicting damage you will usually not feel pain instead a minor tingle and you would ignore it due to adrenaline. Then you stop playing and your hand goes numb

There are Academic articles about that effect: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3052404/

There are 219.000 results of people telling how they got tendonitis for using controllers, when googling for “dualshock wrist pain”

There are also people with Arthritis or osteoporosis. these can affect youngs adult due to ingestion of heavy metal or Arsenic present naturally in foods. And being unlucky for these to cumulate in their joints.They do hate controllers as well

KB+M are better because you don’t hold them in the air, intead rest your arms over the surface that held them. Thus you can use them for whole days without any damage

42. Cwbintennessee Michael Winton
    Cwbintennessee Michael Winton
    November 4, 2017 at 3:49 am

Good
    I use a controller anyway due to my hands being fucked up from years of factory work then truck driving

43. Immahnoob
    Immahnoob
    November 4, 2017 at 5:50 am

>Hey X is a problem, but I’m more concerned about Y which is another problem, fuck X lol.
    You’re an idiot.

44. buddyluv324
    buddyluv324
    November 4, 2017 at 11:55 am

So how does “You’re an idiot for being more concerned for X then Y” Sound any better? You do realize control scheme preference would be irrelevant if the port ran like compete shit and isnt optimized right? Think before you post something so inept

45. Immahnoob
    Immahnoob
    November 4, 2017 at 2:17 pm

You can be concerned for more than one issue and you can simply not deem an issue “irrelevant” because you and 2 other people out of the thousands that will play don’t have it.
    Such a simple statement to understand, yet what you’ve done was construct a strawman.
    >You do realize control scheme preference would be irrelevant if the port ran like compete shit and isnt optimized right?
    No matter how badly optimized it is, it’ll never reach levels of unplayability, those are extreme cases.
    If that comes to pass, it would be just as bad as lacking certain control schemes.
    You see, if you can’t actually control your character, no matter how beautiful the game is, you can’t actually play it, meaning the problem is as grave as bad optimization, since bad optimization isn’t actually universal either, some rigs will be able to handle it.

So again, you’re an idiot.

46. buddyluv324
    buddyluv324
    November 5, 2017 at 3:14 am

My god. This sodium is going to kill me! But to be more serious, I honestly cant understand why you’re getting this ass mad over MY personal gaming preference in the first place, but hey have at it, sport.

For me having no k+m in a third person action game like Nioh isnt a deal breaker since I tent to use a controller for these types of games personally. But that’s not say that not everyone may want to use a controller which is unfortunate. We can only hope for maybe an official patch or a mod. So for Niho, k+m isnt a huge deal for me since with games nowadays tend to be a mix bag, i like to focus more on how the game will run on my rig.

47. Immahnoob
    Immahnoob
    November 5, 2017 at 3:42 am

>”I’m being retarded but it’s you that is mad lol”
    Wew, no, I don’t really care of what you do, I’m merely saying what you’re doing is retarded. Opinions can be wrong, just saying.
    And you’re still missing the point this hard. Use your logic when it comes to microtransactions and DLC practices and you’re now that dude that lets it all happen because “it doesn’t really concern me right now lol”.

48. Immahnoob
    Immahnoob
    November 5, 2017 at 3:21 pm

You’re like a downie tornado, commendable because you’ve passed through the wall but the method left you without even a sliver of your already single, dying, neuron…

49. CombatMeido
    CombatMeido
    November 5, 2017 at 3:47 pm

In which way is a KB+M better for games like Dark Souls / Nioh etc. compared to a gamepad? Right, it’s not. Same for racing games, Beat ’em Ups, Shmups, Jump ‘n Runs…
    At the other hand are KB+M the best for Shooters (be it Ego or 3rd Person) and uh… well yeah, that’s pretty much it. Most other genres are more or less a tie between Mouse or Pad (like Action RPGs etc.).

50. Immahnoob
    Immahnoob
    November 5, 2017 at 3:53 pm

In every way you can imagine.
    Also, your examples are garbage, platformers, racing games, shmups and even beat em up’s all work better with KB+M.

51. Zaharak - Dragon Emperor
    Zaharak - Dragon Emperor
    November 5, 2017 at 6:40 pm

This does not bode well for the game’s future on PC/Steam.

The only genres that do not benefit from KBM are sports/racing/flight/fight games which also don’t benefit from anything that isn’t a specialized joystick in the first place.

52. Zaharak - Dragon Emperor
    Zaharak - Dragon Emperor
    November 5, 2017 at 6:42 pm

Nobody uses a mouse for anything, it’s called KBM for a reason. You use the WASD keys for movement (AD=Strafing; WS=Vertical) and the mouse for camera.

53. Still Here
    Still Here
    November 5, 2017 at 7:08 pm

Platformers and Racing games: analog input trumps any benfit of M+KB.
    Third person action: This varies based on the game. In games like Darksouls where dodging in a specific direction is important makes a controller more useful also these games have few ways of making use of M+KB because they are designed around a controller as the input device.
    Shmups and Beat em up’s: No real difference here since in my experience the input device does not matter since these games usually have digital input as the only option.
    Shooters: M+KB because being able to shoot more precisely and turn around faster have grater value than the benefit of analog input.
    I would mention other types but the only ones I am thinking of like MMOs and RTS, are obliviously better with M+KB while any turn based game is strictly preference.

TLDR: Pros and cons to each but you hurt potential sales on PC by not including M+KB because it is the default input device that all PC users should have.

54. buddyluv324
    buddyluv324
    November 5, 2017 at 7:26 pm

You got me figured out there, noob!

55. nine_ball
    nine_ball
    November 6, 2017 at 4:08 am

Shmups? With a mouse? Really, dude? I don’t know what shmups you’re playing, but the last thing I’d want to use when playing a shmup is a mouse. The precision is great for shooters, but if I’m going to be making constant, often times small, incremental turns, I’d rather just a keyboard than both that and a mouse. Something that doesn’t require me to quickly lift my hand up to keep moving in one direction, you know? You wouldn’t be using a mouse for beat ’em ups either unless it’s a 3D or first-person one. Even then, I could only imagine KB+M working better for the first-person beat ’em up.

This is assuming by KB+M, you mean you’re using the mouse as well. Otherwise, your point is moot in regards to this article.

56. nine_ball
    nine_ball
    November 6, 2017 at 4:35 am

There are 219.000 results of people telling how they got tendonitis for
    using controllers, when googling for “dualshock wrist pain”

That would make a huge difference if it weren’t for all the office workers who get carpal tunnel from tapping away at a keyboard and using a mouse all day. The important part here is that you stretch your body if your going to be in one position for a long time. This is true for both playing video games and working, and is part of the reason why you see Nintendo games telling you to take a break when playing for extended periods of time.

KB+M are better because you don’t hold them in the air, intead rest your
    arms over the surface that held them. Thus you can use them for whole
    days without any damage

Nigger, are you seriously holding your controller up in the air the entire time you play a game? Rest that shit on your lap. Or better yet, put a pillow on your lap and rest your hands on that. That shit helps tendonitis patients not strain their arms when driving, too. Not to mention, you can still fuck up your hands if there’s a gap in height or distance between your chair’s armrests and your keyboard and mouse.

57. Immahnoob
    Immahnoob
    November 6, 2017 at 9:07 am

>Shmups? With a mouse? Really, dude?
    Is deduction something hard to do for you? I always mentioned KB+M, never once mentioned only one of them. What can you deduce from that I wonder?
    The fact that you can either use both or one of them.
    Unless you think that keyboard = controller, then that’s your problem.
    >You wouldn’t be using a mouse for beat ’em ups either unless it’s a 3D or first-person one.
    Duh.
    >Otherwise, your point is moot in regards to this article.
    How can it be moot since Nioh is a third person 3d game?

58. Immahnoob
    Immahnoob
    November 6, 2017 at 9:13 am

>Platformers and Racing games: analog input trumps any benfit of M+KB.
    I don’t see that in any way, keyboards are far more precise than a controller because keeping the analog constantly tilted leaves room for error, unlike tapping a button.
    Platformers also mostly do not allow free shooting, otherwise I don’t see the point of an analog stick, a keyboard can do the same shit, but even if you do have free shooting, a mouse is far more precise.
    >where dodging in a specific direction is important makes a controller more useful also these games
    Which a keyboard does just as well.
    >because they are designed around a controller as the input device.
    Limitations because of shitty controls isn’t an argument.
    >Fighters: This can vary based on what game you are playing because some commands are harder to do on a M+KB then with a stick.
    This I agree to a point, I for one still can’t do the shit fighters ask me to even with an analog stick, it just doesn’t seem to stick, but I never mentioned fighters as part of my side of the argument.
    >while any turn based game is strictly preference.
    Literally any type of controls work there, maybe not touch screens since those are shitty for all games.
    >Pros and cons to each
    This is a fight for the one that has more pros here though, KB+M is overall better, while you can certainly reach proficiency with a controller, that time wasted can be wasted on reaching proficiency with your KB+M.

59. fnd
    fnd
    November 6, 2017 at 11:40 am

“In which way is a KB+M better for games like Dark Souls / Nioh etc. compared to a gamepad?”
    Not having to spend money on peripheral is a good reason.

” Same for racing games, Beat ’em Ups, Shmups, Jump ‘n Runs… ”
    GTA have some of these features(driving, beat em up) and is better on Kb+mouse. Beat em up and shmups are serviceable with keyboard only, because they are more simple 2d games.

“At the other hand are KB+M the best for Shooters (be it Ego or 3rd Person) and uh… well yeah, that’s pretty much it”

Not much of a strategy gamer are you? Besides, you are blaming the consumers instead of the developers for being lazy, it’s freaking 2017 and developers still can’t code fucking KB+Mouse in their game? lmao…

“Most other genres are more or less a tie between Mouse or Pad (like Action RPGs etc.).”
    Lol, Nioh is a action RPG, duh… doesn’t need to be a tie, it’s just japs that can’t code a good port if their lives depended on it…

60. fnd
    fnd
    November 6, 2017 at 11:43 am

I woudn’t say better, but they work good enough, in fact these genres could be KB only because they are more simple to play. I wonder if it is better to handle the camera in Dark Souls 3 with a mouse or a controller…

61. fnd
    fnd
    November 6, 2017 at 11:48 am

“probably plays like shit on keyboard anyway”
    If the devs are openly stating that they are doing the bare minimum with this port, it’s not like it will turn out to be a good surprise is it? Would be nice if a modder did the job that they refuse to do, like Dsfix did with Dark Souls. They should just outsource the port like Capcom does, with amazing results…

62. fnd
    fnd
    November 6, 2017 at 11:51 am

Your hands are fucked up? Good…*

*Not really, just showing the lack of empathy in your post lol

63. fnd
    fnd
    November 6, 2017 at 11:53 am

“Most people people use a controller so who cares.”
    The ones that doesn’t use a controller…

“What people do care about it what this spells out for the port”
    Lack of graphic options, unoptimization, framerate issues, can’t remap controls and of course shitty controls for KB+Mouse users…

64. fnd
    fnd
    November 6, 2017 at 11:56 am

” I’m getting sick of PC gamers who praise the versatility of the PC”

By versatility we mean things like options for both controllers and Kb+Mouse. What you are advocating is the total opposite of versatility…

65. fnd
    fnd
    November 6, 2017 at 11:58 am

Shilling for pedophile company that killed Michael Jackson. Sad!

66. fnd
    fnd
    November 6, 2017 at 12:02 pm

Most Racing games can be played with only a keyboard, not ideal but serviceable…

67. Zaharak - Dragon Emperor
    Zaharak - Dragon Emperor
    November 6, 2017 at 12:04 pm

I never said they can’t. I said they do not benefit from it. Huge difference.

68. Riosine
    Riosine
    November 6, 2017 at 2:41 pm

Ho ho, The number is irrerelant its just there to show injuries actually can happen. Itsn’t the totally of injuries that ever happened either way
    What is really important there is the Article since its the framework behind my theory of why these injuries occur:
    When playing you ignore pain, building up injuries. When doing something else you don’t ignore it and take a break

Yup kid, you hold the controller in a Z coordinate given by your fingers radii , else you can’t held it otherwise, duh!.
    A keyboard. instead just rest over a surfance, you can rest over that surface as well, in the most comfiest and laziest position,

And yeah you can get a better positinn and setting for your controller but that would be at the expense of other factors. like inputs/s for you will also be handicapping your muscle accelerations.

Also I didn’t said a kb+m injury was outright impossible,What I really meant is kb+m injury occurs at a way lower rate then a controller one:
    You get to use your whole hand to move a Mouse
    While AaCamera -stick, all the energy to move it comes from a single finger. So you are burning the finger’s tendon quicklier

Well Hope thats helps to explains this better.

69. Malcolm_Ecks
    Malcolm_Ecks
    November 6, 2017 at 10:42 pm

Finish the sentences buddy. If you remove half of my quote, you lose the whole people. I’m not advocating for anything, I’m personally ok with no mouse support for this kind of game.

70. fnd
    fnd
    November 7, 2017 at 8:07 am

And i’m personally ok with finding your opinion garbage…

71. Malcolm_Ecks
    Malcolm_Ecks
    November 7, 2017 at 10:53 am

You seem to be also ok with not being able to read complete sentences. Too hard for you to comprehend?

72. fnd
    fnd
    November 7, 2017 at 6:20 pm

Your opinion is garbage, be it half or full sentence.

73. Zé Socas
    Zé Socas
    November 10, 2017 at 1:11 pm

I wont buy it or play it on PC without the NATIVE PC control scheme. Were adults not kids with primitve arcade devices.