Atari has shared the first gameplay and some new screenshots for their upcoming throwback arcade title Tempest 4000.
Featured above, the first gameplay for the retro shooter showcases its arcade-like nature. It’s worth reiterating the game is being developed under original Tempest creator Jeff Minter and his new studio, Llamasoft.
Here are the first screenshots:
Here’s a rundown on the game, via Atari:
Developed by legendary game designer Jeff Minter, Tempest 4000 remains faithful to the original fast-paced gameplay while adding exciting new features and gorgeous graphics for audiences on the most popular contemporary platforms.
The original Tempest, one of the first video games to use 3D vector graphics, represents one of Atari’s hallmark titles and is considered one of the most popular arcade games of all time. It has been featured prominently across pop culture – including in Ernest Cline’s dystopian Ready Player One novel.
Just as in the original game, players are once again in control of the Claw, a powerful spacecraft equipped to destroy deadly creatures and other obstructions with rapid-fire shots on vibrant geometric prisms. With three game modes to choose from and 100 levels to conquer, players must eliminate all enemies as quickly as possible to survive, aiming for the coveted spot at the top of the leaderboards.
- Arcade Style Shooter: Blast down hordes of enemies in this fast-paced arcade style shoot ‘em up.
- Unparalleled Graphics: Experience Tempest 4000’s mind-blowing graphics in beautiful 4K resolution.
- Multiple Game Modes: Pick from three different game modes including Standard, Pure and Endurance that will push your skills to the limit.
- Level Up: Progress and clear through 100 unique geometric levels by destroying enemies with various weapons and power-ups, and earn upgrades through bonus rounds.
- Climb to the Top of the Leaderboards: Post your high score in your quest to be recognized as number one on the leaderboards.
- Retro Techno Soundtrack: Enjoy the beats of a thumping soundtrack inspired by early 1990’s techno.
- Old School Gameplay: Feeling nostalgic? Relive the traditional gameplay of the original Tempest with enhanced graphics on current generation consoles.
Tempest 4000 is launching across PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One sometime this holiday.