First Gameplay for Anthem Shows Mechs, Co-Op

After being teased yesterday at EA’s Press Conference, Bioware revealed the first six minutes of gameplay for their new IP Anthem.

Taking place in a walled city, you play as a freelancer who uses mechanical armor called Javelins to protect the city from alien forces. The Javelins can boost, fly, swim, and more easily take down the massive creatures of the outside world

Also revealed was the game’s co-op, allowing players to create squads to go on outside exploration missions for resources.

Here’s a rundown on the game, via BioWare:

In Anthem, up to four friends can unravel the world’s mysteries and take on its most fearsome challenges together. Shared danger means shared glory, and successful Freelancers will all be richly rewarded for successful exploits. Throughout their adventure, players can outfit their Freelancers with powerful Javelin exosuits, each of which are equipped with unique weapons and abilities. Players can also customize their Javelin with gear they earn and craft throughout the adventure, and leave a lasting mark on the world.

Anthem launches in 2018 for PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One.

, , ,
Matthew Sigler

Currently interning at Niche Gamer. I've been playing video games since I was three years old.

1. Uncle Ocelot
    Uncle Ocelot
    June 11, 2017 at 7:00 pm

I can’t wait to see how far they take the romancing this time, will they finally integrate cuckolding into the game as a core mechanic?

June 11, 2017 at 7:02 pm

So it’s Destiny “Bioware Edition”.

3. OSad
    OSad
    June 11, 2017 at 7:05 pm

This started out looking so promising, the mech suits are cool as fuck and flying around the enviorment in these things Ironman style could be really sweet. But this shit was so scripted it hurt, you just know the game that’ll ship will look nothing even remotely close to this.

The Ironman game we didn’t want and EA thinks we deserve.

4. RichardGristle
    RichardGristle
    June 11, 2017 at 7:12 pm

LOL…. aw fuck that’s probably actually going to happen soon in these SJW games.

5. Nagato
    Nagato
    June 11, 2017 at 7:19 pm

Knowing Bioware, you’ll end up getting cucked by your own mech suit somehow.

6. SOMEGUY7893 .
    SOMEGUY7893 .
    June 11, 2017 at 8:04 pm

Man, Western Xenoblade looks nice.

7. Magnifico Ginormous
    Magnifico Ginormous
    June 11, 2017 at 8:06 pm

This is the most generic thing I’ve possibly ever seen, making using a jetpack look lifeless is quite a feat bravo Bioware ?

8. A Loli Coberta de Lixo
    A Loli Coberta de Lixo
    June 11, 2017 at 8:25 pm

well, it looks certainly pretty. but… is this a Bioware game? It can’t be! the characters have more than one facial expression and don’t have dead fish eyes!

9. Astro
    Astro
    June 11, 2017 at 8:46 pm

The trailer commentary was awful. I hope we get to make our MC though. Character and Javelin customization should play a big role in this game. I really hope Bioware’s learned their lesson from ME:A and decided to employ people with actual 3D animation skills this time though.

That aside, looks like it has some potential. I love the idea of exploring a big ass world in a sweet robot suit. I honestly really want for Bioware to knock this out of the ball park. I WANT a good, fun game. But this is EA and Bioware we’re talking about,. so i don’t have my hopes up. https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/76d4244abe7560dcd9311efbc7118f88ef8c2c79defdd4cd8018376a7cecf511.jpg

10. Monty AlKanzy
    Monty AlKanzy
    June 11, 2017 at 8:52 pm

People giving money to EA after Andromeda…Why?

11. Malcolm_Ecks
    Malcolm_Ecks
    June 11, 2017 at 9:15 pm

It’d be nice if Xenoblade wasn’t stuck on Nintendo consoles. I might buy it.

12. GrimFate
    GrimFate
    June 11, 2017 at 9:59 pm

Eh.

13. Interwebs
    Interwebs
    June 11, 2017 at 10:36 pm

What test group did they run this through, game looks awful boring.

14. Ebicentre
    Ebicentre
    June 11, 2017 at 11:59 pm

Here’s to yet another game with yet another fucking female protagonist that has to talk tough like a man, once again.

15. OldPalpy
    OldPalpy
    June 12, 2017 at 12:01 am

Femshep was a mistake.

16. InfectedAI
    InfectedAI
    June 12, 2017 at 12:38 am

If the localization hadn’t been Treehouse’d I would’ve bought it.

17. James Hewitson
    James Hewitson
    June 12, 2017 at 5:21 am

to be honest I think it looks pretty dam cool, But this is EA/Bioware so im approaching this with extreme scepticism.

18. Feniks
    Feniks
    June 12, 2017 at 6:32 am

Well that’s E3 in a nutshell isn’t it? Scripted. Literally.

19. OSad
    OSad
    June 12, 2017 at 7:34 am

Well, some trailers looked way less scripted than others, didn’t they? When they showed stuff like Black Desert Online, Super Lucky’s Tale, Cuphead, Dragonball FighterZ, State of Decay 2, Crackdown 3 and even Asscreed: Origins, you could at least be relatively sure you were looking at stuff that’s in the final game and the player will be able to play through.

You can’t really make the same case for stuff like Metro Exodus, Sea of Thieves and Anthem. Metro was very pretty and I’m sure it’ll turn out a decent game, knowing the dev’s past history, but it still looked like one giant cutscene. There’s just no way what they showed of Sea of Thieves is representative of the full game when you consider that multiplayer is so integrated into the game’s open-sea and exploration mechanics. And Anthem, unfortunately, looked like a The Divison presentation through and through, complete with fake narration and events that are there just to woo the player. The Evolve-esque creature that pops in front of the player and kills two lesser creatures is conveniently avoided ten seconds after you’ve seen all of his current animations. That crashed walker smelled bad of being scripted, and not something that could just spontaneously happen or get triggered by a player’s armament.

If you strip those things out, this game looks like a clone of Vanquish, but with a focus on three-dimensional movement like flying and diving underwater instead of two-dimensional movement, like sliding along two axis on a floor. Could be a good game I guess but presentations like this don’t exactly give me any real assurance of that, and that’s exactly what Bioware didn’t need after giving us Andromeda.

20. ProxyDoug
    ProxyDoug
    June 12, 2017 at 10:30 am

Assassin’s Creed was definitely scripted if it isn’t, the enemy AI is probably shit then. Also Sea of had jumpcuts, it was obviously a presentation.
    I don’t really have high hopes for this one. But I’ m a little too jaded for E3.

21. totenglocke
    totenglocke
    June 12, 2017 at 11:31 am

If it’s a single player game with co-op, I’m down. If it’s multiplayer only, then fuck that shit.

22. malbhet
    malbhet
    June 12, 2017 at 12:10 pm

Online only, not interested. I’m sick and tired of the Sh!tty internet service in my area and refuse to fight with it anymore. If it doesn’t support offline mode then I can’t take that chance by buying these online only games anymore.
    Comcast is just the absolute worse, and the fact that all of these games are beginning to go online only is really beginning to piss me off. What’s worse is there is literally no other internet provider in my area so I literally can’t even go ten minutes online without getting booted out.