Persona 5 Director Thanks Overseas Fans

The director of Persona 5, Katsura Hashino, has posted a nice message thanking overseas fans for supporting the game.

Hashino did this by posting a lengthy message over on the PlayStation Blog, coupled with the above illustration showcasing the game’s protagonist, Ann, and Morgana by series character designer Shigenori Soejima.

Here’s the full message from Hashino:

As a developer, I’m very happy to hear that Persona 5 is being played by so many people overseas. To be honest, it’s really hard to gauge its popularity in the West when our team’s in Japan; we’re not able to see everyone’s comments and discussions. It’d be great to interact with the fans abroad, but sadly, I’m stuck in the development room slurping instant ramen (laugh). Persona 5 is a very “Japanese” story with some political aspects to it, so I couldn’t imagine how Western players would react to it. I did know, however, that Persona 5 was highly anticipated by gamers overseas even back when we were developing the game, so I was curious to see how its story would be received.

I’m going off on a tangent here, but I think that traditional Japanese superhero stories tend to be about fighting off invaders from outside their society, while Western ones focus on fighting against villains and misfits that come from within it. There’s a sense of society being responsible for creating this evil, and such a setting lets the audience’s imagination run wild, like “it could’ve been me.” For instance, doesn’t the Joker from Batman make some valid points that resonate with you?

Persona 5 is also a superhero story in which you fight villains that are born from within society, so I thought that it might be received differently than the previous entries. Of course, it could’ve missed the mark completely and been criticized for it, so my anticipation and anxiety were split half and half. Since the game just launched in the West, I’d like to look back on it at a later time, once I receive feedback from the Western audience—how their gameplay experiences were, what kind of things they felt, etc. I hope that the tale of Persona 5 will leave a lasting impression on everyone who plays it. No matter what kind of project I take on going forward, I love creating RPGs that are both moving and relatable regardless of cultural differences—in fact, I’m most interested in strengthening those aspects right now.

Last year, with the milestone of the Persona series’ 20th anniversary, I handed off the series development to my successors and announced the start of my new RPG project that takes place in a fantasy world. Be it a game set in modern day, like the Persona and Shin Megami Tensei series, or a game set in a new fantasy world, I aim to create games that provide an invaluable experience of reflecting on oneself through a journey, while roleplaying as characters that players can deeply relate to.

These efforts are only made possible thanks to the positive reception we receive from fans—not just in Japan, but worldwide—of the Persona series and Atlus RPGs in general. I appreciate all your support for the newest entry in the Persona series, and I hope that everyone will enjoy the new Atlus RPGs to come.

In case you missed it, you can find our thorough written and video review for Persona 5 here (we highly recommend it!).

May 7, 2017 at 7:03 pm

That’s pretty cool. Hopefully this means they’ll know that the market for these games exist in the West and the next one won’t take an year to localise.

2. gwadahunter2222
    gwadahunter2222
    May 7, 2017 at 7:34 pm

The only thing I want they add text written in other European language like French or Spanish because many people I know refuse to play the game due to the game being english only game

3. TsukuyomiMagi99
    TsukuyomiMagi99
    May 7, 2017 at 8:02 pm

I hope this openess between Japanese developers and fans blooms into a strong relationship. The more communication between the two means mutual benefits for both sides. It’s through this open communication that maybe not only more titles are released over here that weren’t before, but are properly translated and remain uncensored. While they get more and more money its a win/win for both sides.

4. Chocolate ISISCream
    Chocolate ISISCream
    May 7, 2017 at 9:12 pm

Absolutely amazing. Looks like its success doesn’t even warrant the need for a PC release either.

5. Malcolm_Ecks
    Malcolm_Ecks
    May 7, 2017 at 9:52 pm

So?

6. VLOCKUP
    VLOCKUP
    May 7, 2017 at 11:35 pm

I don’t know, I’m still salty about restricted streaming that was going on earlier.

7. Fenrir007
    Fenrir007
    May 7, 2017 at 11:54 pm

Can’t you import it?

8. Random Dude
    Random Dude
    May 8, 2017 at 12:10 am

Probably too expensive to import there.

9. Matz
    Matz
    May 8, 2017 at 12:41 am

I’m from Mexico and I kinda know that feel, the game is quite expensive in the few retailers that are selling the game, specially the Steelbook and Collector Editions, thank God I managed to buy a Steelbook copy while it was stocked at Amazon the last week

10. Feniks
    Feniks
    May 8, 2017 at 7:38 am

You’re welcome. And make sure P6 is dual audio from the ground up and not as an afterthought that you threw together in a week.

I can excuse it from games like SG0 and Rootletter but Atlus has a budget now.

11. Khirt
    Khirt
    May 8, 2017 at 8:42 am

Argentina has import taxes, that range between 50% and 100% depending on the item.

12. Jose Flanders
    Jose Flanders
    May 8, 2017 at 9:01 am

Get over they lifted the ban for most of the game

13. DrearierSpider
    DrearierSpider
    May 8, 2017 at 9:21 am

On the contrary, why wouldn’t they want to make more money if the audience is there and the port would be relatively easy? GTA V made a billion dollars in 3 days from the 360/PS3 release, were they wrong to port it to current gen systems?

14. DrearierSpider
    DrearierSpider
    May 8, 2017 at 9:23 am

Glad to see it doing well, the game’s fantastic.

15. InzMovi
    InzMovi
    May 8, 2017 at 9:35 am

The PS4 streaming functions are still blocked

16. VLOCKUP
    VLOCKUP
    May 8, 2017 at 9:40 am

I can get over but I won’t forget.

17. Jose Flanders
    Jose Flanders
    May 8, 2017 at 11:24 am

Wait for an Update diddily

18. Eden
    Eden
    May 8, 2017 at 1:16 pm

I’m not really looking forward to his fantasy game as much as I was after playing Persona 5. I just don’t feel like being bombarded with the SJW propaganda that I felt from Persona 5 with it’s “Omg! Adults are just SO evil” plotline.

His fantasy game will probably be about how women shouldn’t wear bikini armor and how they can “so much more than just healers” or something.

19. Eden
    Eden
    May 8, 2017 at 1:17 pm

It probably doesn’t work like that, it seems Sony bought that exclusivity. PC would have to wait for a “Golden” version of the game most likely.

20. TsukuyomiMagi99
    TsukuyomiMagi99
    May 8, 2017 at 1:24 pm

That pic is so cute lol.

21. DrearierSpider
    DrearierSpider
    May 8, 2017 at 1:40 pm

Never heard that Sony paid for its exclusivity, you have a source that says so?

22. Helel
    Helel
    May 8, 2017 at 3:19 pm

I logged in to laugh at this pic and call it cute

23. luggage lad
    luggage lad
    May 8, 2017 at 8:13 pm

no source says that, it’s just speculation. Commentors here and on other sites will tell you all kinds of shit when it comes to why Persona 5 is only on playstation, but none of them really know. I’ve even heard someone say that Persona 5 is only on Playstation because of the developers “Japanese pride” and how they see a PC port as degrading.

24. Fenrir007
    Fenrir007
    May 9, 2017 at 12:51 am

Ah, I know that feel. We are truly fucked in South America.

25. DOUGHNUTS ARE AMAZING
    DOUGHNUTS ARE AMAZING
    May 9, 2017 at 7:36 am

That won’t be an issue evantually, as more and more younger people learn English. It’s unrealistic to expect all localised Japanese games to get the multi-5 treatment. The market simply isn’t there for most languages in some genres (ie. VN, ecchi games). Future Persona games should take note and at least translate into French though.

26. DOUGHNUTS ARE AMAZING
    DOUGHNUTS ARE AMAZING
    May 9, 2017 at 7:36 am

SJW propaganda? You are aware most Japanese people don’t give a fuck about that sort of thing, right?

27. ProxyDoug
    ProxyDoug
    May 9, 2017 at 12:24 pm

Also, SWJs are nearly xenophobic towards Japanese developers.

28. ProxyDoug
    ProxyDoug
    May 9, 2017 at 12:26 pm

God, you’re such a cheeky cunt.

29. Lucy Taylor
    Lucy Taylor
    May 9, 2017 at 1:22 pm

>His fantasy game will probably be about how women shouldn’t wear bikini
    armor and how they can “so much more than just healers” or something.

What an absolutely disgraceful comment, and is just yet another example and further proof of the blatant sexism against women that still exists in the video games industry.

Because God forbid girls and women being depicted in clothing and positive roles right?

30. Lucy Taylor
    Lucy Taylor
    May 9, 2017 at 1:28 pm

This is just a rare occurrence. But I’m sure the developers had their overseas audience in mind when developing the game anyway, which means they would have refrained from creating anything that would offend.

“Censorship” will always be a thing, because every society’s culture is different. Which means edits and changes will need to be made. It’s not censorship – just changes to suit the culture it’s heading to.

31. le master trole