New Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception Trailer Introduces Game World

Atlus has shared a new trailer for Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception.

Featured above, the new trailer introduces the game world, its inhabitants, and more.

Here’s a brief synopsis of the game world, via Atlus:

A big part of the game takes place in the lands ruled by the mighty Yamato Empire, so it would be wise for the protagonist Haku to learn about the nation’s culture and customs. His caretaker Kuon, along with all the friends he meets on his journey, is more than happy to introduce him to the strange things that populate the world. For example, he learns that “woptors” are ostrich-like animals that are used as military mounts and beasts of burden, and that “amamunii” is a delicious overstuffed wrap that can be dipped in a number of sauces. He’s also introduced to “eldcraft” devices such as a massive ship that moves without rowers and a water mill that’s engineered with seemingly advanced technology.

Haku will eventually make his way to the Imperial Capital where there’s plenty of work for him to do. Although he’d much rather sit around and be lazy, the people need his help! However, that doesn’t mean he can’t find the time to indulge in the sights, sounds, and flavors of Yamato’s biggest metropolis. From the famed Hakurokaku Inn to the numerous shops that line the streets, there’s tons to do when you’re a stranger in the big city.

Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception is launching for both PlayStation 4 and PS Vita on May 23rd in the Americas and Europe.

1. catazxy
    catazxy
    May 4, 2017 at 7:40 pm

So, do I need to play the visual novel to understand the story of these other 2 games?

2. No_Good_Names_Ever
    No_Good_Names_Ever
    May 4, 2017 at 9:34 pm

Thought this series only got VNs and animes.

3. grgspunk
    grgspunk
    May 5, 2017 at 12:29 am

Not buying a censored title.

4. Zero Eternity
    Zero Eternity
    May 5, 2017 at 3:30 am

howd this one get censored?

5. Donwel
    Donwel
    May 5, 2017 at 4:54 am

One scene where Anju (a child) gets her bare ass spanked is censored. I’m not sure if they altered the scene or removed it completely though.
    NG had an article on it a while back.

6. disqus_G2uJO4SbIB
    disqus_G2uJO4SbIB
    May 5, 2017 at 10:19 am

There is no VN.
    I don’t think you need to play the first one to umderstand the new ones.

7. alterku
    alterku
    May 5, 2017 at 12:15 pm

Read in a few other places if you haven’t either played the first game or watched the first anime series you’ll miss something in mask of truth.

8. alterku
    alterku
    May 5, 2017 at 12:20 pm

Shame about it happening, but it’s good they admitted their grievous error in advance of release, unlike Valkyrie Drive’s age removal. I’m treating this as a minor thing, like the Dungeon Travelers 2 censorship, and hoping the game isn’t too much weaker for omitting it.

9. Donwel
    Donwel
    May 5, 2017 at 4:07 pm

I can’t say the scene is all that important, I’ll spoiler it anyway. Anju has been causing trouble for Haku and his friends, so Munechika (her bodyguard, essentially) comes along and slaps the fuck out of her for being a little shit until she gives them an apology. That’s it essentially. If I’m remembering right the “censored” scene is just zoomed in so you can’t see child ass, so technically nothing has been removed. I may be remembering that wrong though.

10. Zero Eternity
    Zero Eternity
    May 5, 2017 at 8:07 pm

hmm okay thanks for sharing what was censored.

11. DOUGHNUTS ARE AMAZING
    DOUGHNUTS ARE AMAZING
    May 6, 2017 at 4:08 am

How did you found out in what manner the scene was censored?

12. Cats736
    Cats736
    May 6, 2017 at 12:37 pm

That is what I want to know. They never said how it was going to be censored or even that that CG was the one that is being censored (though it most likely is that one).

13. Donwel
    Donwel
    May 6, 2017 at 12:45 pm

I was sure I read it somewhere, I’ve been looking around for where I could have seen it and can’t find anything. Disregard what I said then as I’ve probably imagined it, or maybe got it confused with another game. I have been watching a few of censored gamings videos recently so maybe one of those got mixed up with this in my head.

14. Cats736
    Cats736
    May 6, 2017 at 12:48 pm

In my book, censored CGs (especially those in heavy VN type games) are not minor.